New and need help.....I am super green so need to start with the basics. HELP

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

First step would be to read some of the stickies in this forum.
That may help you understand what questions you want to ask.

Maybe stop off at one of the local fish stores in the area.
We have several that are sponsors here and would be willing to answer questions as well. Plus you can see the different corals and fish and that can lead to more questions that are specific in nature.

Ok I have my first question. When you first start and you are cleaning the sand for the tank, how do you do that? How do you clean the sand? What kind of sand should I get?

Ok I have my first question. When you first start and you are cleaning the sand for the tank, how do you do that? How do you clean the sand? What kind of sand should I get?

Rinse with fresh water until it runs clear. The sand used is ground up coral, called aragonite. On the South east coast, play sand is aragonite. Can be bought cheap from pet stores or from other hobbyists. Many have extra. I have some, but Mill Creek is aways away.

As to learning the basics, there are many good books on the hobby. The library is a great place to start. After that a live fish store specializing in Marine Aquariums can help a lot.

you will want to use live sand there are many brands and textures my favorite is grade 2 aragonite by caribsea..
and you will not be cleaning it "ever" with saltwater there are many critters that do that for you like sea cucumbers, snails, starfish, gobys and so on..
stirring up your sand bed manualy can actually release gases and toxins that can crash your tank...

First, there are many different types of sand.
I like the kind that is a little course over the fine sand.
Stay away from what's called crushed coral. Usually much to course.
When I rinse it I will put a 1-2 lbs in a 5 gallon bucket under the faucet and swish it with my hand until no more silt comes out. Then rinse it some more.
I like to do this where I have access to warm water. I have about a 100lbs to do in the next week and it's going to take a few hours and if it's outside with the garden hose, my hand is going to get mighty cold.

I just bought 80lbs of this

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Marin...&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CIeptP6q5r0CFQlgfgodL2gA2A

You are in mill creek Washington? I am in Seattle.

Thanks for the advise. I have been watching youtube videos and reading a lot online to try and start. It is a lot to take in but I really want to do it.

the bulk of folks here are from in and around seattle.. not all by any means, but a lot...

what do you want to keep in your tank? do you know that yet? sometimes its easier to start there and then work backwards into what tank and equipment work best.. the biggest thing to know know is its a process, take your time, do the research.. you will be much happier with where you end up. take your time.. this hobby is as much if not more about research as it is anything else. try to understand things just don't take someones word. i agree on the local stores too.. they'll talk with you.. help get you started. don't buy anything yet though.. get a list together, run it by some folks here.. KNOW what you want, don't be told..

take note of the tank sizes, and check the compatibility charts... alot of things need really large tanks (they are from the ocean...) and a lot of things don't do well with others. theres no hard fast rule on how many fish, but unless you go really large, your probably only going to end up with about half of what you want.. its not a bad thing, it just is, so, be picky.. build your wish list.. narrow it doen from there... remember even if you think you don't want coral is the tank now, if you can keep from boxing yourself into that, you won't have to start over as you grow..
and take a look at the member build threads in the showcase forum.. they will give you an idea the work that should go into builing a tank...
deep breath too. it can be overwhelming. its not as bad as it might seem. good luck and keep us posted, even if you don't have questions.. we love a good build build! :)

What do you mean by "remember even if you think you don't want coral is the tank now, if you can keep from boxing yourself into that, you won't have to start over as you grow..? If I do coral is it easier or harder? What is the best method for a beginner? Or is there even a "best" way or an easy way for a starter?

no two tanks are the same.. no two hobbyists are the same. coral for some is harder, some folks have a harder time with fish... either can be a challenge, and either can be boring..if we agreed on things, there'd be no need for a discussion forum. :)
what i meant though is that not all fish are safe with coral.. and how you build your tank will mean a lot as far as what coral you will have an easier time keeping if you decide to at all (although it seems almost every one does try some)

I just looked up some stuff online. I do want coral. That is what I meant by "rocks" vs "sand". See that is how new I am!! I like the coral and I guess they call it live rock, is that correct?

I just looked up some stuff. I am SO new that I sometimes have no idea what I am talking about. Anyhow, I now have a better understanding of coral and live rock. Thanks

What is your budget? realistically $1000 entry level and mostly fish only. More money can equate to better success as long as you are prepared to do tons of research. average coral reef prob starts at $3000. The comes the 2nd mortgage lol!

Back