New and need help.....I am super green so need to start with the basics. HELP

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I heard that starting with a medium sized tank is best to avoid huge issues vs starting with a smaller tank. So I was thinking 50-72 gallons to start. Is that too much? For a new person would a bit smaller be safe or safer to stick with 50+??

saramendoza1982, there is another group here in the area called Puget Sound Aquarium Society. They have a forum here on Reef Frontier. I believe that in May, they are having a tank tour. They will be going to a few homes to check out peoples tanks. It would be a good way to see what others are doing. What type of fish and corals they are keeping. There are a lot of members here in the area that would also be willing to let you visit and see their set up. This can give you more of an idea as to what type of tank you want to set up and keep. You are welcome to come over and see my tanks if you are ever in my area. I am on the Kitsap Peninsula. I believe the tank tour is coming up to my place.

Now when I started 5 years ago, I had a mentor for a little while that got me started on my way. He had a 1000 gal tank with a lot of big fish.
what he told me is that I needed an RO/DI system. Reverse Osmosis/Deionization system to make pure water. It helps with water quality and keepking algae from growing. I make my water and store approx 26 gallons of fresh water at all times and 32 gallons of saltwater most all the time. Think about how much and where you can make and store water. Or if you are near a local fish store where you can purchase the fresh water.

The next thing I suggest is research the equipment you need. Do you have a tank and lighting and heater and sump and skimmer or other filtration?

Depending on the type of fish you WANT to keep, will determin the size of tank you will need and that will determin the size of the skimmer and filtration you will need. It will also determin what type if any coral you will be able to keep also.

Like others mentioned some fish will eat certain types of coral. Some types of fish are not compatable with other types of fish.

Get your water supply figured out. Decide on the size of tank you will need or can support. you dont want at 300 gal tank if you can only do 5 gal water changes. you want to be able to do 10-20% water changes. So if you can support a 75 or 90 gal tank, get the tank, equipment and the sand you want and rock and get the tank cycling.

While it is cycling you can research more on fish and coral.

Sand, as mentioned previously, aragonite by carib sea is a great sand. Yes you will want to rinse it real good. you do not need live sand. It will become live soon enough.

Rock is your tanks best filtration. There are many different types. In my opinion, it is best to start with dry rock and let it cycle in your tank. This will guarantee you are not getting aiptasia, or rock crabs or other nasty critters. All of which you will end up getting anyway and then learning how to deal with it.

Salt types. There are a number of different types of salt too. Most of which are good salts. The most used is Instant Ocean and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

Talk to people about lighting and skimmers. The best you can get initially will save you money in the longrun. Dont by cheap because you will end up having to buy better later, so might as well save the money you would spend on the cheap stuff and put it towards buying better equipment to start.

Lighting will determin the type of corals you will be able to keep. There is T5, metal halide and most used now are LED lighting options. You can keep a lot of different corals under T5 lighting if you get the 6 or 8 bulb units. Metal halides, you can keep most all coral with. LED's are proven to keep all coral too. They are spendy, but you do not have the heat issues that you have with halides and they use less electricity.

Skimmers, bigger the better. depending on the size of the tank and how heavily stocked it is, will determin the size of skimmer you will need.

Will you be running a sump? will you be running a refugium? couple other questions for you to think about.

Well, if this wasnt enough for you to think about, let us know. I am sure we can come up with something else.

I heard that starting with a medium sized tank is best to avoid huge issues vs starting with a smaller tank. So I was thinking 50-72 gallons to start. Is that too much? For a new person would a bit smaller be safe or safer to stick with 50+??

50-75-90, is a great size to start with. It is true that the smaller tanks can be more dificult to keep water parameters stable in.

I have been looking on craigslist a lot and offerup as well. And then watching Youtube videos about how to start up. My boyfriend suggested buying one that is already operating but I want to learn from the beginning and really walk through the process.

When you are searching for a tank, find one that is "Reef Ready" meaning it has a built in overflow and return line. its the best way to run a sump and return pump. if the tank is not reef ready, and you are running with a sump, you will need an overflow box. there are a couple brands that work well, but do have their issues.

What is your budget? realistically $1000 entry level and mostly fish only. More money can equate to better success as long as you are prepared to do tons of research. average coral reef prob starts at $3000. The comes the 2nd mortgage lol!

Yea... Gotta make a budget and see what 2nd hand stuff you can get for cheap or even free sometimes here on RF, CL, or other forums. It'll really help with any cashflow limitations... And, once your tank is up and stable, there are certain cheap/free corals that members frag or give if you chose to house corals. Looks like you'll need to read lots of forum info and even online vids to get you pointed in the right direction. I can't even begin to count how many hours I've spent studying up and anything related to reefkeeping 101. Welcome aboard tho!

I have been looking on craigslist a lot and offerup as well. And then watching Youtube videos about how to start up. My boyfriend suggested buying one that is already operating but I want to learn from the beginning and really walk through the process.

Starting your own tank from scratch can be both rewarding and frustrating, but that's the route I'd go for personally. Although, there are always people leaving the hobby and selling their whole setup for dirt cheap at times and that's kinda tough to pass up too lol. :)

Shoot, this thread is almost making me want to start a whole other system and see exactly how cheap I can build it for. Considering new equipment nowadays can also be good and cheap, especially items that are made in China which are for sale at local reef shops, ebay, or amazon. Equipment such as Evergrow LED's, Jebao wavemakers, SCA skimmers, and other misc pieces as well. Don't forget that you do get what you pay for, but cheap doesn't always mean crappy. Cheers!

Shoot, this thread is almost making me want to start a whole other system and see exactly how cheap I can build it for. Considering new equipment nowadays can also be good and cheap, especially items that are made in China which are for sale at local reef shops, ebay, or amazon. Equipment such as Evergrow LED's, Jebao wavemakers, SCA skimmers, and other misc pieces as well. Don't forget that you do get what you pay for, but cheap doesn't always mean crappy. Cheers!

The important thing for anybody is to remember that just because it's cheaper doesn't mean it's a good deal either.

The important thing for anybody is to remember that just because it's cheaper doesn't mean it's a good deal either.
which is why i'd always suggest posting an equipment list before buying ANYTHING. experience isn't cheap either, but you can get a lot of it around here for free. :) even at that though, the decisions have to be yours... if you post it up though, you will likely gain from the arguments we have about it. LOL
lots of great links here for starting up
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/threads/72-Startup-tank-moving-and-general-research

yes the larger the water volume the more stable. One thing to consider though is the easiest way for a new reefer to have a stable tank is regular weekly water changes in in which case smaller is better. you will also need keep temp below 82ish in the summer.

too many people see the pretty fish and coral and say " I want that!" and rush out and buy all the crazy stuff before they learn what it takes to keep them alive. The right approach is to WANT to create an ecosystem and WANT to learn all that it takes. My door is always open to fellow reefers and newcomers if you want pop buy for some basic lessons ( have a 300g tank) also I think you will find most people here will offer the same. It is best to visit as many people as you can because there are sooooo many ways of doing things in this hobby...keeping in mind they all reach the same goals.

We've been doing this for 2+ years and still learn something new everytime we see someone elses tank.

It is best to visit as many people as you can because there are sooooo many ways of doing things in this hobby...keeping in mind they all reach the same goals.

He is right. It has been said and will say it again. get as much information from as many people as you can. see what they are doing to be successful with their tank. there are many ways to be successful. not everyone does it the same way. take what you learn and use what you can.

Great group here of ppl! Wootw00t
Maybe we will b the new noob forum
Lol

I won't even start on how much crap stuff I've bought for this hobby. Do yourself a favor. Buy nice equipment. Maybe not new or expensive but not the cheap stuff. Yes it will work. How long? How noisy?

Again. Buy stuff that is quality, u can use later or for upgrading, and not knock off!
Lol
I'm done
D

A medium size tank is best for beginners. 75 gallons is a good starter tank for saltwater. I think smaller tanks are better left for hobbyist who know what they are doing. Smaller tanks are less forgiving. Big tanks usually cost an arm & leg to set up. 75 gallons isn't difficult to maintain. You will learn things over time & when you feel you understand enough, then you can maintain a small tank or invest in a big one. Chances are you will get another tank after having a 75.

Back