New and need help.......

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saramendoza1982

Someone on this site told me to get a tank that is "reed ready" and said that means it has a built in overflow and a return line.

Can someone tell me what that is/means?

Someone on this site told me to get a tank that is "reed ready" and said that means it has a built in overflow and a return line.

Can someone tell me what that is/means?

I think you mean Reef Ready.

Generally a reef ready tank is a drilled tank.
Meaning there are holes already drilled in the tank bottom or back wall ( sometimes side wall) to allow water to travel to a sump.

In addition to the holes, you will want bulkhead fittings and a overflow box and of course a sump for the water to go to.

Thanks for your help. I am going to google search some things to get a better understanding. I haven't ever done a tank before so I am green. I appreciate you understanding that and helping me out.

Thanks! It seems a little bit complicated with all of the tubes and tank and filters. I am going to make my way to the local pet store to ask some questions to get a better understanding of the system that needs to be in place for the tank.

NanaReefer, was just amazed to see a new member post identical cloned nondescript questions spread across multiple threads, and prior to ever opening a book, reading any mags, or even talking to a shop.

I understand if you are annoyed especially if you are very experienced. I have looked online a lot and I did speak with someone at a Pet Store but they weren't much help. I was told by a friend that this site was the place to go with any questions I would have. I just wanted a place to go to that is reliable because everything that I have looked up online as been different here and there. Youtube has especially been varying......

Nobody's annoyed hun. Sometimes words get misunderstood in written form as apposed to speaking in real life.
Lets try keeping your questions to just one thread so the answers your seeking don't get lost in the thread shuffle ok? That way we'll be better informed to help you in the best ways possible :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

NanaReefer, was just amazed to see a new member post identical cloned nondescript questions spread across multiple threads, and prior to ever opening a book, reading any mags, or even talking to a shop.

If she lives in a town much like my own, the ONLY place she'll find any help or answers will be on this forum or others like it. Personally After 5yrs reefing I've never picked up a reefing book or mag-lol

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

No books? Really?
I always recommend a good book about saltwater aquariums.
If u dont do the reading and research yourself, you are relying on wat others are saying or have experienced. Not everyone does it the same.
Everyone everywhere has their own input.

Right now, I'd look up how to cycle your sw tank or get the beneficial bacteria going...
Next is the equipment research and wat u will need.
$$$

Amazon or the other auction site might b best bet for a cpl good books. Book stores seem to b dwindling.

+1 keep all ur questions in your one thread. Kinda a easy refrence if u need to go back to it.
Hths and welcome!
D

One book that I enjoyed reading when it came out was " The Reef Tank Owner's Manual" by John Tullock.
It came out in 1992 so I'm sure the information would be considered outdated, but it was a easy read and had some good basic information.
Same with some of Martin Moe Jr. books.

Take a trip up to Shoreline and chat with Rob at Red C. A lot of LFSs don't have any solid saltwater knowledge.

522 NE 165th St, Shoreline, Washington 98155
(206) 417-2772

I'm sure the information would be considered outdated

^That is why I have shied away from books, although I do have a few...

Same with some of Martin Moe Jr. books.
I have at least one of those

The saltwater aquariums 'for dummies' book is a good quick intro too... gets you enough to know what questions to start asking...

Even though some would consider them outdated, there is still the basics of saltwater care and expectations.

I learned how to make my first protein skimmer from the drawings in The Marine Aquarium Reference, by Martin Moe Jr.

Plus another old one I have that has basic infor in is The Marine Aquarium Handbook. Beginner to Breeder. By Martin Moe Jr.

Back