New Aquapod 12 Gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MtnDewMan

RF Premium Member
Thought I would share my new Aquapod 12 gallon tank. This is phase 1 of a 3 phase process I am going through. Notice that I am housing a few pieces of coral in the tank now too in hopes they don't deteriorate any further in my other (more neglected tank). Eventually they will move out to a more lit setup. This tank will house a pair of clowns and some low light demanding corals. These are quite the little setups.

I plan on a 24 gallon Aquapod as part of phase 2. That tank will be the primary home of my 16 year old clowns and will have an HQI light to be able to better maintain some higher light demanding corals.

04-10-06_12_gallon_nano_1.jpg

04-10-06_aquapod_saving_corals.jpg

04-10-06_purple_blue_tipped_fuzzy_acro.jpg

04-10-06_purple_with_green_polyp_acro.jpg

04-10-06_purple_with_green_polyp_acro_2.jpg

Woohoo!!! Looking good Chuck!!! Can't wait to see phase 2, as I want to upgrade the 12 gallon nanocube I have to the 24 gallon. Also, keep an eye on your water params with the GSM in it (beautiful colors on that GSM, BTW).

Hey Chuck looks good. JBJ Nano has MH lighting that would fit those real nicely. I believe it is the Cobra light or something. They come in 75w-150w, they also just clip to the back of your tank, so you can have an open top if you like.

I am getting a 12 or 24 gallon for my Daughter. I will look at these too. Thanks for the Idea.

I do like it ... the main problem is that it does run warm. I may have to investigate opening up the top somehow. I think the pump runs it hot, may try changing out and putting in a different powerhead with lower power wattage.

Very cool Chuck! I like the look already...and I think I see your clowns doing the happy dance now that they can see out.

NaH2O said:
Chuck - check out this little chiller: Nanocustoms ICA Chiller. Here is the rest of the site: Nanotuners.com

Neat little device for sure. Will look into it if the powerhead swapout doesn't help. I have a maxijet 900 I will throw in there that draws less power than the one in there now I think. Also looking into removing the hood completely and putting one of those 70W clamp on lights that are out there :)

Very cool Chuck! I like the look already...and I think I see your clowns doing the happy dance now that they can see out.

I think the female clown in there was enjoying frolicking in the new sandbed in there :)

Hey Chuck, you'll love the 24g. Ive got the Aquapod 24 with the HQI. I took out the 290gph pump and put in a rio 2100 which is just under 700gph and then I used 1/2 pvc and plumed the tank for two seperate returns. Good even flow I think.

BCT182 said:
Hey Chuck, you'll love the 24g. Ive got the Aquapod 24 with the HQI. I took out the 290gph pump and put in a rio 2100 which is just under 700gph and then I used 1/2 pvc and plumed the tank for two seperate returns. Good even flow I think.

Any pictures of the setup in the back with the rio installed and your plumbing?

yeah Ill snap some this afternoon.

I also took one of the chambers in the back of the tank and made it a very small fuge with cheato. I put one of those 11watt clip on power compact lights that are used with beta tanks, over the top and run it 24-7. It doesn't leak light into the front display tank.

Also, so that I can run a very sterile environment, I hooked air line tubing to the capped off little nipple on the skimmer collection cup and run it to a bucket in the stand below. The skimmer runs very wet.

Have you seen the skimmer for it? its only $40 and comes with the pump. It fits right in the back of the tank inside the chambers.

Back