New born brine shrimp

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SWPlantedTank said:
Is this true? I know the SF type are smaller, but are they more nutritious?

Not by much.

Mainly that they are slightly smaller. However, both strains lose nutritional value rather quickly after they hatch.

Best,
Ilham

That is a very interesting claim. I live next to the Great Salt Lake and I have heard very contradictory data, maybe because our collectors may be a bit biased? The theory around here is that the SF and GSL species are one and the same, but the GSL ones grow much larger in their life spans because they are so much better fed. Being an enclosed lake, with the runoff from the well fertilized lawns that surround the rivers that feed it, it has a huge population of different species of microalgae. The GSL artemia grow larger and when the cooler months begin, they produce larger cysts than SF.

I wonder why the HUFA content would be different with the larger specimen lagging?

Next time I go collecting, I'll look for the black line. We have quite a variety of colors and shades, so I guess I've always been distracted and didn't pay attention. I'll see if I can't get a pic!

I'm pretty unsophisticated when it comes to understanding all the research, but here's where I base my opinion that the SFB artemia are more nutritious as a strain.

Here's the info: For example, a number of studies have shown that growth and survival of fish larvae (including milkfish, striped & hybrid bass, and cod among others) fed unenriched premium baby brine shrimp (bbs) from San Francisco Bay was the same as those fed enriched premium bbs from the Great Salt Lake in Utah (e.g., Webster and Lovell 1990; Han et al. 2000; Lin and Zhang 2001). In addition to these growth experiments, direct comparison of the nutritional profile of these different bbs suggests that unenriched newly hatched bbs from San Francisco Bay (SFB) were approximately equivalent to HUFA enriched (in a variety of ways) bbs from Utah in terms of growth and survivorship (there were no statistic differences among the treatments). However, both unenriched premium brine from SFB and enriched premium brine from Utah vastly outperformed (showed significantly higher growth and/or survivorship than) unenriched Utah brine shrimp (reviewed by Sorgeloos et al. 2001).
And here's where I found it: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/invert.htm
Seems to say that unenriched SFB strain is as nutritious as enriched GSL. I won't vouch for it's accuracy. :)

Back