New build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pandora32

So i have a few tanks just sitting around the house. I am undecided on what tank to build. I had a tank that was 24x24x25. I was moving in april and i tripped carrying it and broke one of the sides. 3 sides and the bottom are still good. What i was thinking of doing was cutting the 3only good sides down to 12". Take one of the other pieces (the scrap) and using that as a fourth side. Then it would measure out to 24x24x12. Then drill 2 holes for 1 1/2" drains and 2 holes for 3/4" returns. These would be for getting to the sump and back. I was also thinking of doing a closed loop using 2 holes measuring 3/4" on each side of the tank. I was also thinking of a coast to coast for the overflow. Dont know exactly how to figure out the size of the overflow with the tank only being 12" deep. The best gallonage i could come up with for this setup is 29.92g.I also have a few other empty tanks just sitting around. One of them being a 20g long that i was thinking of doing the above work to except for the cutting down of the size.I am looking for input from the begginers to the advanced. I wouldnt say im a begginer after close to 4 years of saltwater and reefing, but im no expert either. I want to do a build on reef frontiers from the folks OF reef frontiers.Oh. I also have a 35g hex tank I could use.Input for EVERYTHING from type of sand to lighting to protien skimmer, return pump to circ pump. Hope everybody has a great night!

I almost forgot. This will be built as a rimless top and bottom. It will also be built for sps, maybe sps corals. Couple fish...maybe. Not sure bout the fish.

Hello,

Your plan sounds good and will give you some hands on stuff which i believe is when we learn the most. Maybe you could do on outside overflow? Across the whole back side is nice gives great surface skimming? On that size tank a 10 gallon sump would be nice or larger? I don't believe i would use the HEX? Taking all trim off may week..n tank?

I meant using the hexagon tank instead, keeping the trim on. What do you mean outside overflow? Do you mean have the back lower than the other 3 sides? I like that idea. Never thought about it!

I stared doing the build. Will be slow though, no job and all. I cut the glass down to 12" today. I think I will do a spinner suggested and cut the back down to 11" and build an external overflow. I think ths is what he meant.

Will do. Jason above got me nervous so i decided to leave the trim on the bottom. Its UGLY though. Tan colored. Havent figured out what to do with it yet.

Got all the old silicone scraped off this morning. Anybody know where i can get tubes of silicone or what kind to use? The red dots would be blood. My bad. Stuff happens...lol

Your welcome,
Do you still plan to do an external overflow? If so how do you plan to cut the back pane of glass??

I was thinking about cutting the back down to 11" instead of 12".

Are you suggesting adding a false wall in the tank? Between the back pane of glass and the front pane?

If not, the cut out of the lower dimension should not run the full length of the back pane. You will need some material on the ends the same height as the DT to attatch the external overflow.
The only way I know to cut a long sallow U shape in the back pane of glass is with a waterjet.
Gl*******s offer a great product (easy to install ) for the overflow. However it is internal.

I thought about cutting it lower almost all the way across. But i dont think i will. I think im just going to keep it simple and drill 2 holes for 1 1/2" drains and 2 holes for 3/4" returns. All holes will be in the back. Havent figured out the closed loop yet. That can wait though.

Changed my mind again. Im goin to put a wall inside. like an AIO. I put it 4 1/8" from the back. I need to get a hole saw set! Im going to drill 2 or 32 holes in the back so the water can drain into the rear of the tank. I will be using 1/2" locline instead of the 3/4".

Well, been cutting the glass up from an old tank i had. Come to find out, the front and back panes were tempered. I found out scoring 1 of them. I broke the other so i wouldnt cut it up. End result:

Last edited:
Back