new buterfly in QT

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mr. Limpid

I have Pakistani butterfly in QT now for 4 weeks this Friday. He never shown any signs of ick, healthy and eating well. People from other forms say to hypo him any way. My question is that if ick is present would it manifested by now?

The most accurate answer to your question is, "It depends."

If the fish was quarantined according to this post: A Quarantine Procedure then within 6 weeks the parasite will show itself.

It sort of annoys me that there is so much emphasis on Marine Ich. Hyposalinity only addresses Marine Ich. What of the other few dozen parasites, microbes, and pathogens that affect our marine fishes?

Don't take any prophylactic action on a Butterflyfish. Treat only when you have something to actually treat. I mean what will you do if during the hypo treatment, the fish shows signs of another disease or parasite? Now the treatment of the real pathogen is complicated by the hyposalinity.

ANY treatment, even hyposalinity, is stressful to the fish and opens the opportunity for something to go wrong during the treatment, which could kill the fish. Fish do die from hobbyist mistakes made during a hypo treatment.

If the fish is in the properly sized QT, it will display within the 6 weeks. :)

Thanks Lee. The six weeks makes sence I've been adding a week to all the edvise I've been geeting anyways, that is why I'm at 4 weeks not three. That is good advise about not starting hypo right away, I was waiting because I never saw ick 4 weeks and he is still doing fine. One last question, I've been told that ick could be present and will not be seen until the fish is stressed or sick. Your thoughts.

You've been hearing some of the anecdotal information and myths about Marine Ich. You should get into the truth by reading this: Marine Ich - Myths and Facts

The parasite Cryptocaryon irritans is an obligate parasite. That means it will and can attack a fish whether the fish is in tip-top shape/condition or on its death bed. People try to equate this parasite with a human viral cold -- the virus is 'always there' and just waiting until the human weakens or stresses so it can gain a foothold. These kinds of pathogens in marine fish are known as opportunistic pathogens and, like the name sounds, hang about waiting for the fish to become ill from another problem, stressed out, or poorly nourished (or any combo).

However, that said, Marine Ich can kill a sick or weakened fish very quickly. But the fish's condition is not related to whether or not it can be infected. A prime example of this is that 'healthy' fishes in the ocean can have this infection -- about 20% do in some estimates and studies. These wild fishes are healthy, living free, and quite well fed, but this is an obligate parasite and doesn't get put-off by the health of the fish.

One factor that does seem to be a contributor is the fish's mucous coating. If the coating is under-par, more of these parasites will get to the fish's skin. But it is wrong to think that the mucous coating, in any condition, can stop the parasite. So some fishes, like many of the Tang species seem to 'easily get infected' because their mucous coating is so thin.

Take into account one simple fact too -- all captive marine fish are stressed -- so even if you believe that a stressed, unhealthy fish is more likely to get infected or to show the infection better, then all our captive fishes fall into this category! :yo: So the fact that the fish is being quarantined will help in dispaly the parasite -- if you believe that only stressed fish will show it. :) In the captive environment it isn't this at all -- it's simply because the fish can't get away from the multiplying parasites. Trapped fish in a DT system, the parasite has a handy feast.

:cool:

Back