new coral in a new nano!@#$

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

probe dms

hi all. i just started a 12 gallon nano. its been going for about 2 weeks. i didnt do any tests on the water besides check the salinity. a friend had to get rid of a red goniopora coral so i opted to take it into this new set up. may have been a bit soon but rather take it then him give it to a lfs. anyway the coral seems to shrink and come out a little bit. never like i saw at my friends spot. do you have any tips on getting this coral to loosen up?

Last edited:
If it's not too late, you should find a home for it, besides your uncycled tank.
It will not survive.

at least if he would have taken it to the lfs... he might have gotten some credit...

good luck

success with gonioporas have been known to require some sort of feeding. Lol, funny how everyone just assumes your tank is uncycled??

hi all. i just started a 12 gallon nano. its been going for about 2 weeks. i didnt do any tests on the water besides check the salinity. a friend had to get rid of a red goniopora coral so i opted to take it into this new set up. may have been a bit soon but rather take it then him give it to a lfs. anyway the coral seems to shrink and come out a little bit. never like i saw at my friends spot. do you have any tips on getting this coral to loosen up?

He pretty much said it himself. 2 weeks, not really time enough to get a tank stable enough for a hard to keep coral.

And from the rest of his post, it sounds like the coral is going down hill.

ah red goniopora coral will die... they require dark nutrent rich water..... found in deeper waters

mine died... try purple

John, all goniopora require feeding. Even the photosynthetic ones. Gonis have a huge reputation for being an extremely difficult coral, with nearly 100% mortality rate in captivity. The only time I've ever seen a goni last more than a few months is in a tank that sees LOTS and LOTS of phytoplankton. In fact, in that tank, several gonis have even reproduced. There are new babies. LOTS of phytoplankton, which can be expensive unless you're harvesting your own.

Unfortunately, the advice given is tough to take, but painfully accurate. The goni won't survive in your tank. You'd do well to consider returning it, or asking your LFS if they can help you.

lol.... wish that was true... but my purple goni has fraged it self and grow meny meny meny new heads..... is talking it thur with the zoo's to figure out who's gonna get the top of the peak.

never fed. always open. high flow high light even stays open thur water changes.
idk

Back