New Fish Only Cloudy Water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I filled my tank 24hrs ago and the water is still very cloudy!
Did I do anything wrong when I fiiled it? I thought by now I would begin to see the water become more clear. Should I drain it and try again? It has been 7 years since I had a salt tank so much has changed!

Like Krish said in your other thread. Don't worry, just give it some time. It'll clear up in a few days or so.

Are you running a sand bed? If so, that can cause a bit of cloudiness until it settles and also, how did you prepare your salt mix? If it was not mixed thoroughly and dissolved completely before adding it to the tank, then the same can happen. Then you have to factor in the LR if you have any in there now and how it was added. LR sheds quite a bit and if your water was poured directly on the LR and you kicked up the sand bed quite a bit when adding the water, then you'd have to have all that settle first before it clears up. One way to clear up the water if it is particles floating around in there is run a filter sock for a few hours or something like a powerfilter/cannister filter with a micron cartridge in it to remove the particles. Then there is always some carbon you can run to clear up water clarity:)

Back