new fish suggestions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jgalvin

Hi, i upgraded tanks a few weeks back now - from a 34g to a 57g with 20g sump. i'm looking for suggestions on adding a fish.

current livestock:
  • pair of false percs
  • tailspot blenny
  • sixline wrasse
  • diamond sleeper goby

lots of LPS corals, may get a clam soon

I'd like to get another goby or something to fill the middle of the tank. will a yellow watchman goby fight with the diamond goby? any suggestions for something that fills the middle water column and that the sixline won't terrorize (he thinks he owns the tank).

any suggestions much appreciated!

James

Stay away from a firefish goby. My sixline chased him all over the tank. Finally had to half drain the tank to get the sixline out. Gave it to my brother in law and found out last night it tried to pick on a lion fish and ended up lunch. I found my firefish to be great for the mid tank area but the wrasse stressed him out and kept him hiding.

Thanks, firefish out. Any other ideas?

Stay away from a firefish goby. My sixline chased him all over the tank. Finally had to half drain the tank to get the sixline out. Gave it to my brother in law and found out last night it tried to pick on a lion fish and ended up lunch. I found my firefish to be great for the mid tank area but the wrasse stressed him out and kept him hiding.

From this post, I'd make the following suggestions: Fish Stocking Limit – for FO and FOWLR

1. I would set aside about 8 cubic feet of tank space for the pair of Anemonefishes. This is about 40 gallons.

2. The fish you now have in there should not grow to being more than about 5 to 6 inches to take up the rest of the avaiable fish space. And

3. I'd say what you have there is a good collection and don't add anything more.

err, but i want a new fish :) i'm thinking about trading/selling my sixline wrasse, he continually picks on my poor blenny. ealier this week, the sixline jumped the tank (I found him in time), i knew i should have thrown him in the sump when i had the chance (catching the bugger now in the DT will not be easy). The two clown fish pretty much just hang out in the back corner (rarely see them unless hungry). They are around 5 years old so assuming fully grown, the male is small (1 1/2 inches), the female is around 3 inches, she lays eggs about once a month in the back. Thanks for the pointer, i read it and some good rules of thumb in there.

From this post, I'd make the following suggestions: Fish Stocking Limit – for FO and FOWLR

1. I would set aside about 8 cubic feet of tank space for the pair of Anemonefishes. This is about 40 gallons.

2. The fish you now have in there should not grow to being more than about 5 to 6 inches to take up the rest of the avaiable fish space. And

3. I'd say what you have there is a good collection and don't add anything more.

I ended up turning off all my lights, draining half my tank and trapping him in a corner with a sheet of plastic so I could scoop him. Another idea is to wait for an hour or two after the lights go off and find where he sleeps and scoop him out then. I was a bit too impatient to try that.

I think it's a good idea to trade out the wrasse. If it is being a bad citizen, and you don't mind letting it go, then it seems to make sense. Then, you can add another fish. Just add one that will fit, even after it grows. Good luck!

If you want a relatively calm tank mate with lots of flash go for a royal gramma. They have wonderful color and are rather active fish. At least mine is swimming throughout the tank all day.

Back