new fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ntswift

mako shark
I was looking at getting a Chaoti wrasse. Has anyone had any experience with these before? I have had the regular leopard wrasses before and just wondering if they are any different or not. Thanks!

Matt

Thats kinda what I figured but I didnt know if anybody knew of any qwerks they may have or failed to keep them for more than a year or what...Thanks though Michael! :)

Matt, I'm checking up on your fish, and wondering, is it spelled Choati or Chaoti? Funny thing is, I'm actually finding Leopard Wrasses, spelled both ways...lol. Macropharyngodon, seems to be the genus I'm coming up with.

So far, it seems that they're a difficult fish to acclimate, as they often refuse to eat prepared foods. From what I'm reading, it's suggested that these fish NOT be quarantened and go straight into the display tank. They'll also tend to bury themselves, right away, and may stay buried for a week or 2. Sounds similar to the Vermiculate Leopard Wrasses we had. If so, be prepared for it to be stuck in it's natural time zone, for awhile. In other words, it'll come out at night, and sleep all day, until it adjusts to our time zone. Sounds crazy, but that's the experience a lot of people, including us, have with these types of Leopards.

Wetwebmedia seems to have quite a bit of good information about them. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/macropharyngodonfaqs.htm

Last edited:
missing wrasse?

Hey not to hijack your thread but i just got a Vermiculate Leopard wrasse and he was swimming around at Aquatic dreams just fine (but he did dive into the sand when we tried to catch him). Took him home and acclimated him and put him in my display tank, fed him (he ate) and was swimming around. But the next morning he went AWOL and I have not seem him since I poked and prodded the sand bed looking for him with no luck. Perhaps I shall be patient and see if he re-appears?? Also good luck with your wrasse search those are some of my favorite characters in both my tanks.

Matt, I'm checking up on your fish, and wondering, is it spelled Choati or Chaoti? Funny thing is, I'm actually finding Leopard Wrasses, spelled both ways...lol. Macropharyngodon, seems to be the genus I'm coming up with.

So far, it seems that they're a difficult fish to acclimate, as they often refuse to eat prepared foods. From what I'm reading, it's suggested that these fish NOT be quarantened and go straight into the display tank. They'll also tend to bury themselves, right away, and may stay buried for a week or 2. Sounds similar to the Vermiculate Leopard Wrasses we had. If so, be prepared for it to be stuck in it's natural time zone, for awhile. In other words, it'll come out at night, and sleep all day, until it adjusts to our time zone. Sounds crazy, but that's the experience a lot of people, including us, have with these types of Leopards.

Wetwebmedia seems to have quite a bit of good information about them. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/macropharyngodonfaqs.htm

Awesome fish

ChoatsWrasse(male)WTMW_Ap15AS.jpg

Hey not to hijack your thread but i just got a Vermiculate Leopard wrasse and he was swimming around at Aquatic dreams just fine (but he did dive into the sand when we tried to catch him). Took him home and acclimated him and put him in my display tank, fed him (he ate) and was swimming around. But the next morning he went AWOL and I have not seem him since I poked and prodded the sand bed looking for him with no luck. Perhaps I shall be patient and see if he re-appears?? Also good luck with your wrasse search those are some of my favorite characters in both my tanks.

I've never kept a Leopard wrasse personally. But my guess is that if it is buried in your sand bed even if you touch it, it probably wont move. It wouldn't want to give away its position unless it absolutely had to. I would avoid disturbing the sand for a while. It probably thinks you are Kevin coming to net it again! lol

I was reading that about 75-80% of them come with intestinal worms and need to be treated in QT before putting them into your main tank. Anybody else heard of this or experienced this?
Jesse, when I had mine it did the same thing. Just buried itself for a few days and then slowly stared to come back out. I dont know if you use garlic in your fish food or not but it works great to get them to come out and eat!

Yeah i use Kevin's special recipe fish food which includes garlic. I'll give him some more time. I was just a little bummed because he was out at the fish store and also was out and feeding and swimming the 1st night. Stupid fish doesn't he know i bought him because i want to watch him? NTSWIFT that is one spendy fish. Good idea doing some research first.

I was reading that about 75-80% of them come with intestinal worms and need to be treated in QT before putting them into your main tank. Anybody else heard of this or experienced this?
Jesse, when I had mine it did the same thing. Just buried itself for a few days and then slowly stared to come back out. I dont know if you use garlic in your fish food or not but it works great to get them to come out and eat!

Back