New Fishies from LiveAquaria

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tony Vargas

Yesterday I received two fishies from LiveAquaria the Genicanthus semifasciatus was out and about instantly. At first I thought that it was a female, but after a closer examination I realized that it's a female in the conversion process of become a male and I had to place it in one of my other tanks.

IMG_6560-AWM.jpg

Gorgeous fish.

Great picture too! Might I ask what you used to take it?

Nick

I would like to know, how do you tell the angel was in transition to male and why did you have to move it to a different tank?

Pretty little Hog.

I think I saw that guy on Diver's Den the other day. Admittedly I just go there to stare at the cool fish.

Nice to know where one of the ones I was eyeing ended up.

I would like to know, how do you tell the angel was in transition to male and why did you have to move it to a different tank?

This female is in a strong transition to becoming a male and one of the first signs of change I've noticed with this species is with the dorsal fin. Black will begin to emerge at the top rear of the fin and slowly start to push the brighter yellow color out. The next change you will notice is to the caudal fin, the spots will become more pronounced. Next comes the eyes they will start to lose the black around their eyes and the white coloration of the eyes will become more yellow. If you notice any of these changes the fish is becoming a male.

I didn't have to move the fish, it was placed in my quarantine system after acclimation because I have a Alpha-male in my main system, below is a photo of that fish. If I'd placed that transition female with my male he would have surely killed it.

IMG_4946-AWM.jpg

Back