new frags, one has black on the bottom..not white?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mellowhead

Just received my frags from reefermadness and they all look good except maybe one....? All of the frags have a white base where they have been cut, except this one. It appears to be black. Please let me know if this is normal or not....I am leaning towards not:(

They have about a 1/2 hour left in acclimation so unfortunetely I may need a quick answer.

Thanks, MH

the skeleton is black?? Can you take a pic?? No, I agree it does not sound right and I don't think I've ever seen a frag with black on the skelton.

the skeleton is black?? Can you take a pic?? No, I agree it does not sound right and I don't think I've ever seen a frag with black on the skelton.

The frag is in the tank so I cannot get a pic, but the underneath of the frag, where it was cut, is the part that is dark. All of the rest were bright white. Any ideas?

Thanks, MH

I can't imagine what that might be. if it was a fresh cut frag it should be like the others and have a bright white skeleton where the frag was cut. If it was an older cut frag then you'd think the frag would of healed and the cut area be the same color as the frag.

Coming from RM though I would think it's healty of I don't think Chris would of sent it out. You might email him and ask about it. I think that would make me feel better if it was me..

thanks again

I can't imagine what that might be. if it was a fresh cut frag it should be like the others and have a bright white skeleton where the frag was cut. If it was an older cut frag then you'd think the frag would of healed and the cut area be the same color as the frag.

Coming from RM though I would think it's healty of I don't think Chris would of sent it out. You might email him and ask about it. I think that would make me feel better if it was me..

I agree with you 100% and will call Chris/Kristine on Monday. I can't wait until my lights come on:D They recommended the first day no lights:rolleyes: , so I am very anxious to see under my lighting.

Thanks Again, MH

I would cover the cut end with superglue and mount it. Once covered it will be fine. It could be some epoxy if it was mounted to something and broken off for shipping.

Regards,
Kevin

I would cover the cut end with superglue and mount it. Once covered it will be fine. It could be some epoxy if it was mounted to something and broken off for shipping.

Regards,
Kevin

I would, but that would void the 4-5 day guarantee from them:

"Do NOT mount frags when they arrive. They must acclimate to your system first or they will RTN. After 4-5 days, you may mount the frags. If frags are mounted prior to the 4-5 day acclimation period, our guarantee does not apply."

I also just posted pics and it is the 3rd one, but you cannot see the bottom. I did however make a stand for them so the flow travels across their bottom as well...thinking this would have helped. Also like you said could just be something it was previously mounted to.

Back