new Hanna pH probe-corals not open

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Carloskoi

i got a new Hanna pH probe yesterday that i unwraped and put in the sump last night. today none of my corals opened.

anyone else had this happen?

i have just changed my filter socks, skimmer, new carbon, and phos guard. tomorrow i will do a 20% water change.

my pH was 8.0 last night. today it was 7.8 so i added Kalk and that took it up to 8.4. that big a jump isn't good i know.

i don't know what else might be different. no visitors, hands in tank or any other changes i can think of.

anything else i should do?

Carl

Carl
I really do not think it was the probe unless it had a something on it, pretty unlikely. It sounds more like your attempts to make water quality better may be backfiring. The change of phosban and carbon could have caused a alk spike? The jump in ph could be the culprit. Its usually best to seperate each of these out over a course of time. In the event you notice a problem, you know what to blame it on and how to deal with it. Id say give it some time and move a little slower.

Don

i did all the changes after i saw the corals didn't open. they are still not open although it is night here and i just got home after being gone from early this morning. it's 10:45pm

Carl

i found the problem. a powerhead died. the cord came off in my hand. it polluted the tank. my big leather died. the rest of the softies are not open but the mushrooms have expanded somewhat. i think 2 of 3 clams are history. not sure yet.

i moved everything to my 60 gallon that already had water and a couple pieces of LR. no sump and only a small hang on skimmer.

the LR that didn't fit is in a trashcan with a heater and powerhead.

i will have enough water by tomorrow to change out all the water in the 120 where i had the problem.

question: i left the 3" sand bed in place. is everything in it likely dead. it was teaming with stuff. there are still a few snails in the tank. maybe i can use them like canaries in the coal mine. not sure if they are moving or not. i tried to memorize where they are tonight.

Carl

Back