New JBJ Nano 28 Gallon LED!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JBJ28LED

I have a 20 gallon right now and my 28 nano led is on the way. Only problem is that i have a ton of aptasia that i want to kill before i move to my new tank. Does anyone have any advice to eradicate them before i move the rock. any advice will be helpful. Thank you

no kalkwasser mix with rodi to a pasty texture then hit each aptisia with all flow off in the mouth.

kalkwasser is lime water but in a pasty fourm also sold at walmart in a green container called granny smiths pickling lime get the one with out extra flavors the name may be off

boil the rock in a large pot of water. That will get rid of your aptasia if it's as bad as you say it is.

OK i'm going to move the rock from one tank to another and the rock has no coral growing on it. can i make a lot of paste and just roll the rock around in it and rinse it with salt water. also about boiling it wont i lose all the bacteria after, then ill just have an expensive rock!! Thank you for the replies.

You have to get the aptasia to ingest the past to really work...so rolling the rock around in kalk paste probably wouldn't have much effect. Yep, boiling will kill everything, but bacteria will come back fast; just a few days even. If you paid big $$ for aptasia filled rock, I would ask for some money back since what you have now is still just expensive rock with pests that will aggravate you to no end.

so when i switch the rock from one tank to the other i boil it first for how long and then put it in the new tank with new sand and new water?

boil it until you no longer hear screams and can only smell death!:evil::badgrin:
I would think you would kill everything off within 20-30 minutes of a decent roiling boil. Some folks with a few aptaisia here and there actually have used boiling water in a syringe to eliminate them but if it's as bad as you say it is then this may be your best option.
When it goes into the new tank, you need to let your tank cycle. So don't just drop it in and toss in any critters.

Last edited:
so i boil all my live rock put new salt water and sand then let cycle and test water til all levels are at 0. is that right

is there any other details do i have to let the rock dry can i just toss it in right after i boil do i have to let it cool?

yep, you got. You might let it cool off to room temp if you already have the new tank up and sand in it, but that's pretty much it.
You can also get a small amount of pest free rock, like a cup of LR rubble or sand from an established tank to throw in to help kick start things.

alright i should be getting the new tank next week so ill take pictures and show you guys how it goes thanks

i am boiling my rock as i write this post and the rock is turning green. i hope im doing this right

I have my green boiled rock in a 10 gal with some not boiled rock rubble and all levels are good but ammonia is at 2.0 and was wondering does anyone know if the green color goes away do i have to scrub it or what?

Yea get a steal brush and got to town.... There is going to be a cycle from this rocks due off

i scrubbed the green off but now my ammonia levels are at 4.0 do i just continue to let it cycle or is there anything i can do to help it cycle faster and drop the ammonia level faster

Back