New Kol Tang - help!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Elivia

Hi, i have just purchased my first tang. We have placed him in the tank yesterday afternoon. he has not come out of hiding since and will not eat. He was perfect at the fish shop when we took him home and today when we moved the rocks around tonight to see if he was still alive he came out and we noticed this weird looking patch on one side of his body. it was not there yesterday and i dont know how to descibe it. its sort of white in colour. would this maybe be a wound? I have done research on these tangs and i do understand they take some time in getting used the there surroundings but am very worried now....He just likes to hide in the live rock on the bottom and not move around. his breathing seems fine and water conditions are perfect

can you describe the "white patch" or better yet get a picture? The hiding and not eating is normal, if you don't see him out and about in 1-2 days there might be something wrong. Offer up food and eventually he'll become less skittish and come out to investigate the food situation.

Kole tangs seem to be a little skittish in the first place.

I think he is eating, he's just not doing it at feeding time. He's not a yellow or a purple tang, so I wouldn't really expect him hanging out in the front of the tank 24/7.

If the "white spot" is just really the Kole loosing some color, it's probably stressed out. If they are little white raised bumps, it's a whole nother ball of wax.

i had the same problem with mine at first!... try wrapping some seaweed around a small rock and drop it on the bottom near where he hides... they are bristol tooths and like to graze on algae!...also if it will take meaty food make sure it got spirolina in it and try soaking it in garlic to help with parasites... hope this helps!...

Also, one more note. Tangs and a lot of other fish like hide out in rocks at night. Some actually wedge themselves into a previous for security. Constantly moving rocks around to check on them can trap, or crush them. This can sometimes help (moving rock) if you are introducing a new tank mate and do not want to have a fight over established territory. Everyone would have to find a new home. Usually a new fish will take a week or to getting use to their new home and new tank mates. If every one is getting along then usually will see the new fish sooner. If somebody is picking and chasing it around it will hide more. Be patient and stick to your normal routines and the fish will come around if it is healthily.

well IMO , garlic does work.. if used properly!.. kinda like julian sprung saying revive kills red bug eggs and kills monti eating nudibranchs.. well julian hate to burst your bubble again but it doesn't.. had a 3 hr discussion with him about this at our last meet!... i've watched parasites leave my fish with just feeding them food soaked in garlic.. no treatments , no uv lights , and no cleaner wrasse/shrimp... so yes i do think garlic works!...

i'll talk to steven about this at our next meet... he's a guest speaker!...in fort myers fl...
lots of our club members use this as a regular treatment and have found that it works!...

Its not really a matter of opinion, its a matter of extensive experimentation, and nothing has been found to link Garlic with ich fighting. Its just snake oil.

With regards to the first post:

Moving things around trying to find the fish is not too good for helping the fish to settle in.

Putting the fish directly into a display tank is not such a good idea. They should be quarantined, but. . .too late for that I guess. The quarantine time is to train the fish to eat for its new owner. Like the store tanks, the QT doesn't have a lot of places to hide.

Have you tried to feed the fish what it was being fed in the store?

Tangs often go through color changes from fright and as a kind of camouflage. Are you sure the white area you see doesn't come and go or change brilliance over time? I would need a photo to help much beyond this. I don't know the size of the spot; it's true color; the area it covers; the exact location; if it's long or short term; etc. I also don't know much about the other fish that may be presence, nor the size of this fish.

Also, I don't know much about your system. For long-term Tang husbandry: The aquarium length should be no less than 4 feet if the fish is under 3" long, 6 feet 3-5 and 8 feet when the fish gets to over 5" long. These fish need to swim a lot.

Good luck!

Also ich is spots, injury is usually scrapes which can lead to bacteria and fungal. Which is usually blotchy discolored area or areas can spread quickly especially if highly stress or poor conditions. Can happen while being caught, being transfered, goes on and on....I would agree it should be caught and quarantined for furtherer observation, Also keep a eye on your other fish for any sighs of blotches.

Hi, i have just purchased my first tang. We have placed him in the tank yesterday afternoon. he has not come out of hiding since and will not eat. He was perfect at the fish shop when we took him home and today when we moved the rocks around tonight to see if he was still alive he came out and we noticed this weird looking patch on one side of his body. it was not there yesterday and i dont know how to descibe it. its sort of white in colour. would this maybe be a wound? I have done research on these tangs and i do understand they take some time in getting used the there surroundings but am very worried now....He just likes to hide in the live rock on the bottom and not move around. his breathing seems fine and water conditions are perfect

Try Nori on a veggie clip....you probably noticed the fish in the rocks while it was sleeping they have a white coloration when their sleeping...aloha Les

Welcome to reeffrontiers!
its probably nothing. It will take several days to even a week or so before the new fish starts to eat. Just be patient and don’t move the rocks around trying to find the fish. This will just injure or scare the fish into hiding out even more. Putting real un dried algae in the tank would be best at first for getting it to eat. Try and leave the lights on a low setting like just one light if you have several lights on your tank. I hope this helps.

Back