New LED's released

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The RC thread has some good pics: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1746535

In that thread, they are using fixtures made by someone and sold through nanotuners: http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?products_id=623&osCsid=alhi51siai2u554dj3l0dt02n1

Those have 5 CREE LEDs per fixture, 21W total, and are $119/each, or $99/each when you order 5 or more!

Ya know these are cool. but i'm not so sold with them only lasting 4-6 years. when other LED fixtures (for example AI) has a lifespan of 50000 hrs (19.5 years at 7hrs a day)

Tom

Ya know these are cool. but i'm not so sold with them only lasting 4-6 years. when other LED fixtures (for example AI) has a lifespan of 50000 hrs (19.5 years at 7hrs a day)

Tom

Ok so I've just gotten an email back from nanotuners and i'm not sure why people beleive the expected life span is 4-6 years when they have the same LED's as the AI fixture and after receiving my email i'm pretty sure that the actual life of these par38 lamps is 50,000 hrs just like the AI fixture but I have an email out to verify I understood it correctly.

Tom

I think there's some debate over "lifespan" vs usable lifespan due to luminescent decay. Even though the LEDs will last for 50,000 hrs, it doesn't necessarily mean you keep using them that long. Just like we replace our MH bulbs at ~6 months, even though the bulb continues to light up...

From what I've read, luminescent decay on LEDs is much slower than regular bulbs, but unfortunately I don't recall the exact decay rate. However, I would tend to agree with the folks that think LEDs should probably be replaced before the 50,000 hour mark, assuming the bulbs have decayed in output by a certain percentage before that time.

Rob

I've read somewhere on MR's LED thread that LEDs lose 5% intensity every year. I don't know how true that is though. However I somewhat believe it as I'm sure there are some spectrum lost over time way before the 50000/hr mark.

I've read somewhere on MR's LED thread that LEDs lose 5% intensity every year. I don't know how true that is though. However I somewhat believe it as I'm sure there are some spectrum lost over time way before the 50000/hr mark.

From what I have read there is definitely intensity loss over time but 0 spectrum loss which was claimed to be yet another benefit of LED's.

Tom

I think there's some debate over "lifespan" vs usable lifespan due to luminescent decay. Even though the LEDs will last for 50,000 hrs, it doesn't necessarily mean you keep using them that long. Just like we replace our MH bulbs at ~6 months, even though the bulb continues to light up...

From what I've read, luminescent decay on LEDs is much slower than regular bulbs, but unfortunately I don't recall the exact decay rate. However, I would tend to agree with the folks that think LEDs should probably be replaced before the 50,000 hour mark, assuming the bulbs have decayed in output by a certain percentage before that time.

Rob

Thats very true but even if we replaced them every 25000 hrs. were still coming out WAY ahead of anything else currently available.

Tom

Back