new lighting wow what a difference...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I did just that. I usually work from about 9-6 so I have actinics only 11-12, then mh+actinics from 12 to 10, then actinics only from 10-11.

This brings up a question i have been meaning to ask. I have tried feeding my fish in the morning before i go to work and they don't want any part of it. i'm usually come home at 6:30-7:30 and feed them then and sometimes a snack before the lights go out.

So far they seem to be doing fine but how do I tell if they are getting enough to eat. I keep hearing to feed fish several times a day. Do i need to get an autofeeder to help with this?

Don't mean to hijack this thread but i think it's relevant to the previous post.

This brings up a question i have been meaning to ask. I have tried feeding my fish in the morning before i go to work and they don't want any part of it. i'm usually come home at 6:30-7:30 and feed them then and sometimes a snack before the lights go out.

So far they seem to be doing fine but how do I tell if they are getting enough to eat. I keep hearing to feed fish several times a day. Do i need to get an autofeeder to help with this?

The thing with auto feeders is sometimes they dispense too much or not enough. Also, it limits you on what you can feed. I know with my tanks, I had to feed in the evenings. Mornings they didn't want much either, but evening time, they were ready! I only fed once a day as well and they were fine:)

so is 14hr period bad for everything 12hr mh 2 hr t5, i work from 8-5 and the daylight will be getting longer, with the blinds open the tank will still get light... i need to come up with a good lighting time.....any ideas?

Glad to hear that krish, makes me feel better about keeping to once a day

Yeah, everyone feeds their fish differently. I use to sit there and feed them a bit at a time and when they ate all I'd give them a bit more. My fish always seemed to grow nicely on the once a day. Some fish may require a bit more feedings per day so I guess you'll have to consider that as well with certain species :)

so is 14hr period bad for everything 12hr mh 2 hr t5, i work from 8-5 and the daylight will be getting longer, with the blinds open the tank will still get light... i need to come up with a good lighting time.....any ideas?

Once you have a few hours of darkness for the tank to "rest" then it's cool man. I don't think I use to run my lights more than 10 hours a day while others use to run theirs for 14-15 hours a day :)

Back