New lights?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pufferdady

I have a 260W PC 48" fixture on my tank right now and all corals are doing great. I just bought a Coral life 48" fixture with 2-250W hallides and 2-96W PCs. My question is what's the best way to break the tank in for all the extra light ?( I don't want to fry the tank). It is a fixture so, raising and lowering is not an option right now anyway. Right now with the PCs Blue is on 12hours and all are on for about 9hours. Should I just cut the time back to, lets just say 6hours and slowy increase, or is it better to go halides on a couple hours then blue for a couple more then all for bit more then sleep ect..? Also how much should I cut back by, to start? Any feedback is greatly appreciated

You can get that lighting egg crate they call it (at your local home center) & cut it to fit over the tank, also shorten the light time with the MH but leave your PC's on regular schedule. Slowly allow more light in the tank & longer over several days, nice an gently!
I find it easy to cut the crate with wire dikes & they are cheap.

You can just cut back the amount of time the lights are on but the intensity is still there, I was told once to take a couple pieces of glass or acrylic that fit over the tank, dip them in saltwater, let the water dry so the glass is just covered in salt and put them on top of the tank. That way the intensity of the bulbs are lessened.
Other than doing something like that cutting back on the amount of light by turning off some of the bulbs will work as well.
Just a thought

I use screen material(like the kind you would use for a screen door) and drape several layers on the tank. Every 2 days you can remove a layer of screen untill the tank is uncovered. I believe this to be the least stressfull way to do it. Unlike the raising and lower of the light which is subjective, the screen way is fool proof. I prefer it over the shortened lighting schedule as well. With the shortened lighting cycle, you are not preparing the coral for the new light at all. You just turn it on full blast, but limit the amount of time the corals are recieving it. With the screen method its much more gradual.

Thanks for the advise that was fast, I've waited longer for it at the LFS. That's what I was wondering. I think I'll go with the screen method because that sounds really easy and I'm really lazy,haha. I'll take some pics before and after.

Does the lfs have a light meter you could borrow or a spokane reef club meter you could borrow?

If you measured the old lighting. Then put the new one in place and measure it. Then put screens over and re measure.

That will tell you how much screen you need and then you can adjust slowly knowing you did not start off to bright!

I plan on doing this in a week or so as i am going from worn out 14K pheonik to brand new reeflux 10K's.

:)

Paul

If you are worried about light shock (a valid worry) you can lay fiberglass screening (the kind used on screened doors, make sure it is not metal) on-top of your tank, start with 7 layers and every third day remove one layer. This method works great. Another, if you can, have the lighting high, then slowly lower it (not a good suggestion if you have a canopy.

Dan

Back