New LR is a little too "alive"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mattleycrue76

Aquajunkie
So

Picked up about 20 lbs of liverock yesterday from a fellow reefer who was tearing down his tank. Good price, nice corraline growth. Unfortunately It was already in buckets when I got there so i couldn't see it in the water. I got home and made the very smart choice of resisting the urge to see what it would look like in my tank and put it in a 20g QT instead. I could see there were probably some corals on some of them so I put a light over the tank as well.

On the good side I seem to have inherited quite a few green button polyps, a few mushrooms, a brittle star and some xenia that looks like its knocking on deaths door. also there is some sort of hard coral frag.

On the bad side, and this is why I'm so glad its in QT, There's ALOT of aptasia. Soooo I threw in a couple of peppermint shrimp with it.

So here are my questions:

1. Will two peppermint shrimp be enough to do the job on 20lbs of rock?

2. What do I do with the corals as the light I have them under right now is really crappy (PC)?

3. How do I know the aptaisia is really gone from a given piece of rock?

4. If I put some of this rock in my sump, can the aptasia make it into the DT from there?

5. How long do I keep all this stuff in QT?

Sorry for the long post. I'll shut up now

Its the little ones that you will have a hard time finding. If the peppers are doing their job it may be of no concern.

I would leave it in the 20G till YOU feel like it is safe. Keep flipping, turning, looking.

Dont be sorry for a long post. Its far from it.
1.Two peppermints should make short work of 20lbs. provided the aptasias arent too big. They dont like mother colonies. You'll have to kalk those ones. From what I hear, you will never be fully rid of aptasia. I find it best to just keep two peppermints in my display at all times. I have two overflows full of aptasia and when I do see a baby in the display is isnt there for more than a day or two. when the baby does stay, its time for more shrimp. I tend to think of my overflow aptasias as part of my biological filtration that helps to clean up from my heavy feeding. Two years and never a problem from them. Now xenia, thats another story.

2.AFAIK all of he corals you listed except the SPS should be fine under those lights. I've unintentionaly grown them under a 13w flood lamp.

3.You wont see anymore. Thats the best anyone can do with the elusive plague anenome.

4. Yes

5.Until you cant stand the suspense and longer. :D

Last edited:
hmm, i wonder if the two peppermints will get along with my coral banded, fire, and cleaner shrimp that are already in the dt. I guess I'll find out.

Also I didn't realize that pulsing xenia was such a nuisance. If that's the case I guess that won't be going in the dt

Also I didn't realize that pulsing xenia was such a nuisance. If that's the case I guess that won't be going in the dt

Only for some. Some experienced reefers couldnt keep it alive if you paid them too. It just doesnt like certain tanks. Actually, you'll find that most experienced SPS keepers dont keep xenia and GSP due to its plague like tendencies.

the xenia i was fine with. but now you're telling me that gsp is a nuisance also? but i like gsp. it's cool, looks like grass. I want to have a bunch of sps eventually. there's got to be some way to control the gsp

what about an individual rock? separated from the rest, can they still jump across the sand onto another rock?
Thats what ive been doing for two years. Works for me rather well. I just sold a real cool peice of GSP encrusted tonga branch for that was near 10 inches long $65 that I just didnt have a home for anymore. It was a shame because I was manicuring it for two years. Apparentlly its one of the more toxic softies for SPS . I run a mixed reef and have had good luck with it. The xenia is another story. Drop by some time. Ill tell you all about it. Its too difficlut to type. Especially after 7 Coronas on a Friday night.:p

Back