New Mandarin

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fish21

I just bought a new Mandarin and put it in my reef tank on Saturday. Now four days later and it hasn't come out from hiding. I can see it so I know it is alive but it is afraid to come out and join my two clowns and cardinal fish. Is this going to change or is this going to be the way it lives?

Fish21,

I was given a Mandarin for my Birthday (not really ready for one, but what can ya do???). That was back the 1st part of march. When she was 1st introduced, she also spend about 95% of her time hiding back thru the rockwork. I would see her out in the morning before I went to work, and then again in the evenings after my lights went off.

Now... just about 2 months later, she is always out. I think they just need a little while to acclimate themselfs to their new surroundings, and ensure their tank mates don't miss-identify them as their next meals. *grinz*

fish21 - how old is your tank and what size is it? Was the mandarin eating when you purchased it? Give it some time to acclimate to its surroundings, but check that the mandarin is eating. Sometimes, they won't take prepared foods, and rely solely on 'pods in the aquarium for food. If the tank is too young, or not enough liverock to support a suffiecient pod population, then the mandarin may starve.

Mine would eat new life spectrum pellets, because the would roll on the sand. It connected the movement with food and then made the switch. It jumped out to become fish leather one day. I have not tried another one yet because my tank is sill not mature enough, yet. I had pod piles in my 44, and when I set up 75 I didnt build them into it. When I switch over to BB I will be putting them back in again.

Thanks for your responses. Mandarin is now out all the time, three minutes at a time, many times throughout the day. But now I bought a Christmas Wrasse and after making the purchase it sounds like a possible mistake, may be competing for the available pods. I am going to look into the New Life Spectrum Pellets. Is that something that will keep them both well fed. My tank is a 72 gallon bow front with about 120 pounds of live rock and 8 pounds of live sand and Araganot. Tank is about four months old now. I am new to all of this but doing very well and looks great.

If you can get them to eat them, they will. From what I hear, most of them never make the switch. Just keep trying things. I mean you already have it in the tank. Steve

Yes, rubble piles are great breeding grounds for pods. its just a pile of small pieces of rock that makes a safe breeding ground for the pods. Some people put them in an upside down plastic strawberry basket. I made a few for my female mandarin starting a month before I got her just in case the 150 lbs of live rock wasn't enough. I found a male that ate frozen food and added him also, now both come out for feeding time. I was told to wean them onto frozen food with frozen artemia because of its small size but mine eat mysis and ignore anything else. When the books say that they are slow hunters its completely true. The food has to hit the rock in front of them and fully stop moving before they suck it up. They are gorgeous aren't they? Lately mine have been doing their mating dance at night. Mandarin babies would be interesting.

Another cheap and handy way to make pod piles. Find out what day your local fish store gets its saltwater shipment in. Show up early, ask to help unload and acclimate the fish and coral. I learned alot doing this, I also ended up as the guy the LFS gives the little pieces of live rock rubble in the boxes it comes in. I just cured the stuff and when I set up my first tank I made little pyrimidal piles behind the rock structure. Another added benie, get first pick on fish. And they sell them cheaper because they have no risk on the fish if its bought in the shipping bag. Just make sure a quar. tank is set up. I'll shut up now. LOL Steve

Back