New neilson idea

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Check out the compact config. I think that it should only take up a 6/10/15" footprint. Compared to the 8/8/24-30" that a single would take up, I don't think it's a lot of horizontal space to give up.

Here it is...
Dual_Chamber_Compact_JPG.jpg

Here are the first pics of construction. I have only cut and dry fit the main chamber pieces but it is cool seeing it come together.

In this pic you can see the really cool manual miter saw that I used to cut the tubing and pvc fittings.
Picture_068.jpg

here is the saw in action cutting the end bowl down to size
Picture_061.jpg

this is the mix chamber dry fit
Picture_063.jpg

and the mix and clear kalk chambers together
Picture_066.jpg

In this pic you can see how the two chamber may be installed on the base plate. The plate is a piece of .5" smoky acrylic.
Picture_064.jpg

I hope to get to glueing soon so I'll keep you posted on the rest of construction.

looks good. I have a simple question though. if you have a double chamber calcium reactor do you still need a nielson reactor?

Not really, but dripping kalk at night helps with ph drop and phos precip. The second chamber on your reactor should increase your effluent ph. But the phos precip alone is worth the work.

Don

Hopefully we soon will. Tomarrow I am going to start the glueing and finishing. I will keep RF updated.

Thanks for the comps too.

Today was pretty busy but I got around to a few things. Mainly I glued the top caps and union together and I did a little experimenting with weld on 16. It pretty much glues anything together.

Here you can see how I glued the bottom bowl to it's base. The base is a 4" to 2" reducer. I subed it for the closet flange because I wanted the two chambers closer together.
Picture_078.jpg

Here is how the reactor will be placed with the MJ 900. It is mainly glued besides the bowls.
Picture_075.jpg

I found this barbed elbow that fits perfectly on the ph
Picture_072.jpg

The ph has an included O ring and I did a water test and there were no leaks. Here is the o ring on the ph.
Picture_082.jpg

I will have final assembly pics over the weekend.

Here are the final asembly pics. It went very smoothly. In fact everything went perfectly all except that the bottom 2 inches of the settling chamber cracked so I cut it off and now that chamber is shorter. The complete reactor holds exactly 2gl of water.

Holding fittings with tape
Picture_007.jpg

how the mixing pump is hooked up
Picture_009.jpg

The intake and mixing plumbing
Picture_011.jpg

A JG fitting in a .5 in threaded coupler
Picture_017.jpg

I cut notches in the bleed pip to allow all of the air to escape from the top
Picture_020.jpg

And the compleated reactor, isn't she a beauty
Picture_014.jpg

I'll post more pics of it mixing up some kalk

Looks good bud, those JG fittings sure do add up quick huh? My wife always gets pissed when I buy them, she is like 35 bux for what? LOL

Back