new, odd tank growth

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aedeos

Future Sen
it's on the sand bed and is like a mold almost, with a brownish-gray uniform color. It doesn't have many distinguishing looks; it's a flat gray mat almost. I've also had the pink stringy cyano multiplying quite a bit lately. I've cut down on feeding and light and am trying to get water changes going quicker.

I agree...Any chance to get a pic? Also, what are your water parameters (nitrates etc) and are you using ro/di water? If you are experiencing cyno now and possibly diatoms, it's all a part of cycling (taking your tank is newly setup) and it should subside as the tank matures. However, if the tank is not so newely setup and you are experiencing these issues, then chances are you have an excess of nutrients in your system fueling the algae to grow and so you need to find the source and eliminate/fix it whether it be from over feeding, not performing regular water changes using ro/di water, overstocking your tank etc. In any event, if you could post a picture of the growth on your sand bed and give us a bit of info on your tank, it will better help us help you:)

Tank is 85g with 7 fish (3 blue-green chromis, 2 yellow-tail damsels, 1 velvet damsel, and 1 coral beauty). Clean up crew is 6 astrea and 1 brittle. Tank is about 1 months old. Cycled through diatoms already and this is something completely new. I'm going to do a water change tomorrow most likely of 10g. I'm also buying new carbon filtration because mine is old, as well as starting to skim a little wetter. I'll grab pictures in a little while, but my batteries are drained right now so I need to recharge them.

Sometimes happens when sometimes dies in the sand and the sulfur/phosphates bind stuff together. If I'm right then it will smell foul. Otherwise try increasing the current in the tank and getting a ton more sand sifters. Good luck

Back