New on here, my plans etc.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

feeblebob

Morning all!

I am very new to the 'reef scene' but am chuffed to have found a site like this. I have generally been very interested in wildlife all my life, I kept lizards, slow worms, newts etc as a kid. I could sit and watch my reptiles for hours.
Now the time has come to do something proper. A fair few years ago now, a friend of mine bought some 'marine stuff'. I had no idea what he meant, thinking it was a tropical tank with 500,000 tiny, tiny fish. That never intersted me. But he had a cowfish, a shrimp and a few other things I forget now. That did interest me. Strange, bizarre creatures. Also, in a very strange S&M manner, I liked the fact that it requires time and effort and careful preparation of all the equipment! Hmmmm. Should've kept that one quiet....

Anyway, I now come to the point where the wife says, one or the other, an iguana or a tank. My feeling are that the tank can go in nicely to pave the way for the iguana but thats another story. So tank first. I have spent plenty of time over the past few months reading bits and bobs on the net and picking up information. There is certainly plenty to learn! Anyway, I want a good sized tank, I dont want to start and then realise its not what I wanted and spending money twice. Same with equipment, if the best whassit for this or that is £xxxx.xx then so be it. I hate doing things by halves. I am keen to learn, able to spend (wont say keen...) and prepared to spend the time required to keep it well. I have found what seems like a good local outlet, SAS (Sheffield Aquatics) who have good stock and are keen to talk and educate etc.

So step one, I want a right rippin great tank. I have been told and read that a large tank is easier to keep and when pondered, it's obvious why. What do I need to consider for the actual tank itself? Material? Whats better and why? And what is all this talk of holes? Is it for using equipment over and above what may be considered the bare minimum, sumps etc?

All help greatly appreciated:)

Hi, welcome to RF!
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14793

This is the project I'm working on, it has a ton of holes, may help explain things.
For a newbie I would think a 125g is a great start but we just recently made a thread where everyone expressed their opinions on what size tank is the best, so we can take a look at that when I find it for you. We have lots of beginner threads worth reading, If you look at the member showcase forum you will see how everyone designed, built & now keeping their tanks & they usually show all the problems, & the good things. I've kept FW fish for about 25 years & now SW almost 6 years & I'm here not only to help but to continue learning also because it never ends, sorta like the building of my tank:)
This can get pricey in time so planning & doing your homework ahead of time will pay off. Once you decide on how big of a tank you want, I would consider location, ease of getting water In & out when doing water changes, Location to store the millions of $$ worth of equipment & gadgets etc. In most cases starting off small when first getting started is very common, It almost is a good thing because doing is learning, you get an idea of what you really want in time, so starting out on a small tank with plans on converting it into a QT when you go bigger is a smart idea also. When you get water in your tank, you will need a salt-mix, there is a ton of choices, Instant Ocean is easily acquired, cheap, been around the longest (over 35 yrs) & is a very stable salt-mix proven but hey we do have a ton of salt mix studies for you to decide first place. Next suggestion is test kits, "Saliflert" is the brand very trusted, accurate & easy to understand, slightly more costly but worth it, save yourself money in the long run. Ok there is so much to plan, sump, skimmer, Live rocks, water circulation, lighting, stocking, corals, it is a complicated hobby, so ask away & welcome once again!

Welcome to Reef Frontiers feeblebob!

I would start out with a 75 gallon Reef Ready (built in overflows) with a sump and refugium. You will need a protein skimmer that is rated for your tank or a little higher. You are going to need anywhere form 75-125lbs of live rock or more if you want. A base/ sandbed is up to you a lot of people go bare bottom (no sand bed) and others do a deep sand bed (2-4" of sand) Its up to you though. Depending on what typ of corals you want to keep will determine your lighting.

Good luck,

Nick

Welcome to RF!! I hope you enjoy it here! There's not much you can really add to what Scooter and Nick posted. The members Showcase forum is a great area to check out different setups and get a few ideas. The tanks with the many holes are for closed loops that provide the tank with flow. Some people don't like the idea of having powerheads sitting in their tanks because they say it takes away from the beauty of a tank so they drill it and do their flow that way hiding it. Also, there are only so many angles you can point a powerhead so if you wanted something that you can direct flow in any direction, the closed loop is the way to go as well. You can use lockline attachments and bend them to point just where you want your flow.

As they say in this hobby, "Definately more than one way to skin a cat" So best case scenario, you figure out what you think will work best for you ( for eg. if you don't want a sump, there are ways around them and still have a successful reef tank, don't want to drill your tank etc) and then we can discuss it here and and help you figure out the best way to accomplish it. :)

Good luck man and no worries...I'm sure you will get all the help you will need to get a nice tank up and running. Don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how stupid you may think the question is. We all have to start somewhere and have all been down that road:)

Hey! Welcome to RF!

Just so you know, you ran across a goldmine of information here.. I'm still pretty new to this (only a few months in)- but these guys here have so much experience and this forum is VERY knowledgable.

FYI- this hobby is extremely addicting and fun!!

ENJOY!! :)

Scooterman, that is some setup. Must admit I find looking throught the post a touch confusing, being that Im not to familiar with some of the ins and outs yet. Give it time and after Ive got some more bits read from this forum, I'm sure it'll click. Don't worry, I'll try not to post questions that have been answered elsewhere, I hate lazy forum readers....

Shallowreef, cheers! Just to save me a moment of two, what is a refugium? Seen them mentioned a lot but haven't seen any definitions. Is there any practical difference to bare bottom (...?) and a sand bed. I'm thinking I would aesthetically prefer a sand bed but would it affect the tank in a different way to none at all?

Thanks Krish, at my very early stage of learning on the subject, I wouldn't want to rule anything out. If you all say a sump leads to a better quality tank, then I'll learn about how a sump works (from a reef tank point of view), and try to incorporate that into my plans. I'm a hard worker with things like this and getting it right would be a huge buzz.

Thanks again for your help

Cheers Jersey, I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time on here, it looks very good. If only I could work out all that plumbing!

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Here are a couple of threads to read through:

Let's Talk About ~Refugiums~

Let's Talk About ~Filtration Concepts~

Something to keep in mind when considering tank size is how much space you have for the tank? You don't want to get an enormously huge tank and not have any spot to keep it without the spouse making you move out :rolleyes: :D.

Also, really consider what types of inhabitants you want to keep in your tank. This will dictate your lighting set-up, filtration, and flow requirements. When considering flow, you can do a closed loop, or depending on £££ of electricity, it may be cheaper to run something like the Tunze streams as opposed a closed loop pump. Scooterman may be the best person to talk about power consumption. Lighting is another draw in electricity, and again, depending on the corals you want to keep, you may be able to get by with a T5 set-up compared to a MH set-up and save £ on electricity. The costs up front are one thing, and the costs to maintain the system are another.

Hope this helps!

nice to see there's people across the pond that want to keep reefs. welcome!:D you couldn't have fallen into a better place to let your interest take shape!!

Thanks again folks for the welcome, good to know I've found a good resource. Went for a look in my local marine shop again on saturday, bought the latest copy of Marine World mag, made the wife drive home while I scanned it... Hmmm, tank size. The wife knows that if I do anything, it gets done properly. She won't quibble about it. Consider I wanted to section off about quarter of a large room with a brick/stone built vivarium for a couple of six foot reptiles and she knows she'll get the better deal.

Welcome!
I have a 52 because I live in an apartment. A 175 would be super, but is the size of a small couch.
Cost is some consideration: it's taken me somewhere around 3000.00 by the time I got lights, [metal halide] sump, skimmer, tank, stand; ---you can do it for less. But consider that it wouldn't have taken that much more to go a bit larger. Lights would be the biggest expense, along with the tank itself and the live rock.
What am I restricted from doing? I can keep anything I can fit into a 30/30 triangle. But as my corals grow [and they do] I'm going to have to frag and move and trade: I thought it would take forever to grow, but I've got a bubble coral reaching for its neighbors in a dangerous way and a digitata that's bound upward and out and is preventing me getting the frogspawn up where IT won't hassle the staghorn, well, you get the picture... more room, just 10 inches more room, would be a boon.
But I haven't got it.
I have only minifish in my tank: I keep gobies and blennies that never grow more than 2" max. Your cowfish would require more room---and might have a few coral-eating habits: I'm not sure about that species. Some people like to go totally by serendipity, and are happy with anything that results. If you have more specific aims, list them, and people here will try to advise you into a tank that can serve your needs for a while.
Be careful about tank selection: predrilled reefready saves you a lot of hassle: a case of pay now or later: a predrilled tank accepts a sump with a lot fewer troublesome hang-ons. The other thing to watch is [and I recommend glass as easier to clean] strength. You can get thin-glass tanks that are large and far less expensive, but a marine tank supports a huge mass of rock and, well, yes, a lot of water and sand, and that's heavy, and you sure don't want to have a seam fail or a frame break. Where you see vast differences in cost, look at the thickness, weight, construction, and features.
You won't need a hood: a canopy that lets you get your lights up 8" off the water is good, but toss the lid, and toss all lids on the sump. You want evaporation.
For that reason you'll want a [can be cheap] autotopoff unit, to make up the difference in water lost every day to evaporation.
A heater. A fan can sub for a chiller in summer.A protein skimmer rated for a little more than your size: get a good one on this item: it's your sewer, and you know what a sewer backup does.
You don't need a filter. The live rock and sand do that.
And that's a pretty good shopping list...I'm sure others will chime in. EVERYBODY has opinions on brands and designs.
A refugium is a real desirable thing. I don't have one, but wish I had.
A corner bowfront is really space-constricted, worst thing about a corner design. I can't get as big a sump as I'd like and I had to do an adjacent cabinet to fit in a topoff reservoir....but again, it fits the space. Plan all your equipment, and the fact you may want a really big sump, with room for a refugium inside it.
Good luck to you!

Sk8r - I haven't heard about "wanting" evaporation. Where can I find info about that? Anybody else have an opinion about that?

Evaporation aids in keeping the tank cool, when you evaporate water you also carry away the heat.

I loose about 6-7 gallons a day and my 650 gallons stay cool without a chiller.

i lucked out on my new tank..it runs really cool.. the room that it is in is extremely cold, colder than some of my other rooms.. the tank is right under a vent

Welcome to RF :) These guys are great, they will get you the information you need.

The wife knows that if I do anything, it gets done properly. She won't quibble about it.

:lol: Does she have a sister? :lol:

Back