New Project - skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I used a circle cutter, It has a pointed tip that tapers at a 45 to one edge. I made multiple passes till I had the groove that I wanted. Basically that is one thing that is not working. I need to make a proper gasket. Oh well. Now I just need to cut some keyholes in the flange to make it easy.

T

Have you come up with a way to make those redred key-holes without a mill?? I was gonna to make a rotating table on the router table and just slide the lid into the bit to make the keyholes but no way to index it - another way was to drill the clearence hole then mount the lid to cut the key hole.??

Not sure

Update

Here is 1 day worth of skimmate. Thick and nasty. I think I have been needing a better skimmer for a while

big t, where can i get this aquamedic pump with needle wheel? Very nice skimate for one just a day =). Keep us posted....

reeffan

reeffan, I just ordered one of these pumps for myself from Marine Depot; but you can also get them from Premium Aquatics (I needed some other materials that Premium did not have, and that is why I didn't order from them).

HTH,

Eliyah

Hey Eliyah, thanks for the info. Is this pump similar with SEDRA pump that euroreef skimmer use? Im just curious on how they work. Im in the process on making another DIY skimmer that uses needle wheel and im looking for another pump the cost less than the SEDRA PUMP. Thanks again........

reeffan

From what I've heard and read they're identicle. The Ocean Runner 2700 even uses less electricity than the Sedra 5000.

Mine should be here today, and hooked up to my new skimmer by the end of the weekend...can't wait! :D

Eliyah

Just got it actually, and I'm not too happy...the shipment got held up in Portland for a day because of a late train (UPS), and the pump they sent me is one that was a customer returned and is missing the impeller housing and all inlet & outlet fittings. They can't figure out how it got back on their sales floor, but are sending me out a new one. Since it's a holiday weekend I'm not going to see the pump till Wednesday :(. Damn MD, this is the second time they've sent me screwed up shipments; oh well nothing I can do now.

Better order from Premium (I know I will in the future), I've never had any problems with them.

I'll post picks of the new pump next week, unless you want to see this one with the missing fittings ;).

Eliyah

Tom,

Did you get the key holes worked out? I've got a router table jig thats easy to make if you need.

Don

Don, I will have to hook up w/ ya and you can school me a little. I did make some for eliyah's skimmer, and they turned out great, but it took about 30 minuits w/ a dremel.

Tom, That looks great and I can't believe all the gunk it pulled out. I have a Turboflotor with the OR pump that doesn't work that well. What is it about your design that makes it works so much better??

TIA

Last edited:
I got to see this skimmer in action yesterday and talk about some white foam in the riser tube man this skimmer looks and works great.

Jeff

Katrina, I think the main problem w/ the turboflotor design is that it is made for a smaller pump. With the ocean runner It is necessary to throttle back the air (in my case) So mine worked pretty good for about two days, then the air valve would get clogged, and then I had to clean it. I think that I had to completely remove the skimmer about 1 time a week to clean the venturi.

Anyway with this design I can run the air tube wide open, and can adjust the water height a lot more effectively with the output tube.

Thanks Tom. I know exactly what you mean--I have cleaned the air intake in mine many times in the 10 months it's been running.

Tom..thanks for the PM........is that 3" tube for the neck and 6" or 8" for the main body on the skimmer in this thread. also what is the hieght of the of the outlet pipe hole to center from the bottom of the body? or does it matter? The hole from the input looks like it is just based on the pump hieght plus the ell fitting.(?)

Back