new Red Slimer remover = a new nightmare

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Handegard

Two is better!
Long story short-

After adding some red slime remover, my skimmer went nuts, yada yada yada, and I shut it off. So far, so good.

After two weeks now, and several small water changes amounting to roughly ~50% of the tank, the skimmer no longer goes crazy.

But now, it billows millions of micro-bubles into the water, turning the tank white. It didn't do this before.

Ideas?

Long story-

I've used Red Slime Remover plenty in the past (I used to do maintance for SWC) and know how to use it, and the effect it has on skimmers.

A few weeks ago, I purchased this stuff which I assumed was more or less the same thing, and was all Barrier Reef had in stock.

I used a slightly smaller dose than my tank called for (~60g worth instead of ~80g). It says to change 20% of the water after 48 hours.

Well, I changed 10 gallons after 48hours, and another 5 a day for 2 days (I'm not setup to mix more than 5g at a time at my new place)

Now it's been about two weeks, I've done several 5-10g water changes, including a 10g one just minutes ago. After every water change, I try the skimmer again, because I want it to work. The first couple times, the skimmer just overflowed like crazy.

Now, the skimmer works, but I can't use it, as it's pumping out tons of micro-bubles, and turning the water milky. The water comming out of it is just ridicoulsly areated, its white. I've run the skimmer for 2 days now with the air valve closed, just to have water flowing through it in the hopes of cleaning anything that stuck to the sides off. But to no avail. Any suggestions?

The skimmer will act up if you add equipment or use epoxy or add chemicals. Use carbon after a day or 2 to remove additives and turn skimmer off during.Then your skimmer will need a few days to calm back to normal.

But useing the red slime remover isnt the cure so finding the source is best. Usually its the water source or flow issues or high dissolved solids.

"The skimmer will act up if you add equipment or use epoxy or add chemicals. Use carbon after a day or 2 to remove additives and turn skimmer off during.Then your skimmer will need a few days to calm back to normal.

But useing the red slime remover isnt the cure so finding the source is best. Usually its the water source or flow issues or high dissolved solids. "

All good stuff, but the only thing I've changed is adding the slime remover. And it did the "make the skimmer go crazy" thing that it always does, and that should have been the end of it. But now my problem is the microbubles turning the tank white. The skimmer didn't used to do that. I've changed so much water that I don't know what else to do.

And yeah, I know the additive isn't a cure. The problem has been adressed, it was me working too much and neglecting the water changes, combined with a little too much feeding. I'm back to caring for the tank and doing all the feeding myself on a regular basis, just needed to get my interest back up...

The carbon would have to be replaced after 24 hours as the additive will have used it up. Then if you replaced a large amount of water and not mixed it real well this would cause it to freak. If you dont have any fish then just let it calm on its own.

If your useing tap water then this could be causeing red slime.
What size tank and whats used for water movement?

The additave is the problem, not the cure. Don't use it.
Micro bubbles come from the added organics probably from the die-off or the additave itself. Can you add baffling to the return to eliminate some of the bubbles?

Alright, updates and answears...

I'm doing another 15 gallons of water change today, 5 gallons at a time (like I said, I can only mix 5g at a time here)

I'm changing the carbon again, I stuffed some filter pad in to try and filter out the bubles (I think we can all agree, the skimmer would help with the problem)

I picked up a Hydor Koralia 2 at Barrier while I was in there, and yeah, it seems to rock. I'd like to pick up two more to replace the powerheads that are in there.

I'm going to do a full test for everything I have test kits for, it's a little past due. I'm also whiping up a chart for maintainence that I'll log the test results on and keep track of water changes...

The skimmer is a Euro Reef. I want to say RS-180 or RS-80. It's been wonderfull, first skimmer I've had that I truly prefered to a Remora/Urchin...

Back