New reef-er, advice please!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sanchez

Hello all,

I'm new to the marine environment so I picked up a 3 gallon Picotope for my desk at work. It comes with a 9w 50/50 light (dunno what that means) and a 40gph pump/filter.

I've read a lot online and I have seen people swapping out the lights, changing the pumps out for ac70s with ac10 impellers, adding heaters and all kinds of stuff. I'm going to add a heater and a digital thermometer, that much I know. Was thinking maybe a 25w heater or even smaller, but I'm not sure.

I plan on growing corals and/or anemones and maybe having 1 or 2 fish. Is this overkill? I have some filters from my freshwater setup at home that I could use here, an ac30 and a fluval plus.

I'll take any advice on any subject at this point because right now I'm going off what I have read online. I'm most likely going to be getting my water from the LFS, and RO/DI from a friend that does automotive detailing (non- reclaimed water of course haha)

I plan on using live sand as a base and starting the cycle with some live rock.

I am pretty savvy when it comes to fresh water tanks, so I'm familiar with all the testing/maintenance on that end.

Thanks!!!

Edit: Should I build a refugium out of an ac70 with the ac10 impeller? I've read about a lot of people doing this, but I don't really know what the objective in doing so is...

Last edited:
Your going to want to make a list of what types of corals OR anemones you want in your tank. I say "or" because I believe you could have issues between the two fighting over tank space. Anyway, find out exactly what you want and then build from there. Like everyone here says " go slow and research alot". Good luck and enjoy

Hello all,

I'm new to the marine environment so I picked up a 3 gallon Picotope for my desk at work. It comes with a 9w 50/50 light (dunno what that means) and a 40gph pump/filter.

A "50/50" light refers to the bulb that it has. It is a dual cylinder compact florescent bulb that one cylinder produces a actinic color where as the other is usually 10k.

I've read a lot online and I have seen people swapping out the lights, changing the pumps out for ac70s with ac10 impellers, adding heaters and all kinds of stuff. I'm going to add a heater and a digital thermometer, that much I know. Was thinking maybe a 25w heater or even smaller, but I'm not sure.

For that size of a tank I would get the thermometer and monitor the temp to see what it does after you get the tank setup. see how stable to temp is and then judge if you need a heater after that. As for adding the ac70 that could help if you turned it into a fuge.

I plan on growing corals and/or anemones and maybe having 1 or 2 fish. Is this overkill? I have some filters from my freshwater setup at home that I could use here, an ac30 and a fluval plus.

With this size of a tank the only type of anemonies that I would think to be safe would be mini carpet anems (usually only get about the size of a silver dollar). As for corals start out with some softies or some hardy lps. Zoas/palys and lps like candy canes would be good choices.

I'll take any advice on any subject at this point because right now I'm going off what I have read online. I'm most likely going to be getting my water from the LFS, and RO/DI from a friend that does automotive detailing (non- reclaimed water of course haha)

Most lfs can supply you with RODI as well as saltwater, the RODI being of a much less cost than the salt mixed water.

I plan on using live sand as a base and starting the cycle with some live rock.

I would think just using some basic rubble totaling about 5lbs would be plenty.

I am pretty savvy when it comes to fresh water tanks, so I'm familiar with all the testing/maintenance on that end.

Thanks!!!

Edit: Should I build a refugium out of an ac70 with the ac10 impeller? I've read about a lot of people doing this, but I don't really know what the objective in doing so is...

A refugium would definitely help with this tank. The reason being because it is so small your water parameters are going to swing MUCH faster than say my 93gal display. What a refugium does it you have it setup to house various forms of MACRO algae (seaweed) which uses up any nutrients that would otherwise be consumed by algae thus reducing your potential for algae blooms.

See bold :)

Tom

Wow, thanks for all the input! So in order to make my own saline mixture, I'd need a salinity test kit or a hydrometer (guessing) yes ?

As far as livestock goes, I plan on sticking with the softies at first then if it all works out and I can manage this thing on my desk at work I'll upgrade the light and get some more diverse zoas and stuff :)

I am also planning on making the refugium for sure as I read that it helps a lot with pH balance and NO3 and NO2- as well. And on top of that it seems like a fun little project to do.

As far as the heater goes, my office is air conditioned, so I don't want it to get too cold, it's usually around 70-72 in here. And would it be better for me to mix my own saline or just buy it? I'm planning on making an ATO with a float switch to regulate the water line, I heard evaporation is a big issue in a tank with no lid.

2k3l0w

This is what I'm aiming for, something nice to look at :)

Wow, thanks for all the input! So in order to make my own saline mixture, I'd need a salinity test kit or a hydrometer (guessing) yes ?

As far as livestock goes, I plan on sticking with the softies at first then if it all works out and I can manage this thing on my desk at work I'll upgrade the light and get some more diverse zoas and stuff :)

I am also planning on making the refugium for sure as I read that it helps a lot with pH balance and NO3 and NO2- as well. And on top of that it seems like a fun little project to do.

As far as the heater goes, my office is air conditioned, so I don't want it to get too cold, it's usually around 70-72 in here. And would it be better for me to mix my own saline or just buy it? I'm planning on making an ATO with a float switch to regulate the water line, I heard evaporation is a big issue in a tank with no lid.

No problem. As for testing SG get a hydrometer other forms of testing (floating arrow for ex) are horrible and can be very inaccurate. As for the heater it sounds like it would be a good idea since your office stays the temp it does. Cost wise its better to just mix your own but since its in your office I imagine space and the amount of tank stuff being there would be an issue so just buying it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Typically an LFS around here will charge about .50/gal for premixed salt water. Just make sure you ask what Specific Gravity it is mixed at (I keep both my tanks at 1.026). The ATO is a good idea as evap is a big issue with open top tanks and even more so with nano/pico tanks as it will start to effect SG, ph and other parameters very quickly.

Tom

Yeah I'll be sure to check all of the parameters before I buy, I do have limited space, but I also have a big empty file cabinet that I'd be more than happy to keep some salt in. As far as a hydrometer goes, any recommendations?

Speaking strictly from my limited experience, if your office is always 70-72 degrees, I'd not add a heater to a tank that small. Mine malfunctioned and killed EVERYTHING in my 2.5gal tanks very quickly.

Okay, well I'll put a thermometer in it and run it while it cycles to see what the temps stay at. I imagine the filter/light will generate enough heat.

IMO, a 2 gallon tank is harder for a newbie to take care vs a 20 or 30 gallon tank..there is soooo much that can go wrong in a smaller tank and your margin of error is very very small..if you want an office tank, I would start with a 15-20 gallon tank and read the following book: The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. It is a great read and overall a good reference book..

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist/Robert-M-Fenner/e/9781890087999/

it explains all the questions you are asking.:)
Ive been in the hobby 15yrs and I still refer to this book from time to time.

HTH

IMO, a 2 gallon tank is harder for a newbie to take care vs a 20 or 30 gallon tank..there is soooo much that can go wrong in a smaller tank and your margin of error is very very small..if you want an office tank, I would start with a 15-20 gallon tank and read the following book: The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. It is a great read and overall a good reference book..

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist/Robert-M-Fenner/e/9781890087999/

it explains all the questions you are asking.:)
Ive been in the hobby 15yrs and I still refer to this book from time to time.

HTH

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

Tom

Cool I'll look into that. As much as I would love to a 15-20 gallon setup, I have a small cubicle so I don't really have that much room to play with haha. I'm pretty familiar with aquarium care as I've kept fresh water for years ranging from 2.5 to 60 gallons. This will be my first salt endeavor so I figure keep it small, learn from any mistakes I may make. I'm going to try to do everything by the book to avid that though :)

New toys!!!
4368418732_31c66991f3_b.jpg

4368418774_20043dfd74_b.jpg

Anyone in the LA area have any Chaetomorpha they'd like to sell? Getting my AC70 this weekend and I'd like to set it up Monday when I come back to the office.

Back