New Reef setup question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefgirl78

Hi all, I am returning to reefing after about 4 years retirement from it. I started with a 15 nano 15 years ago , then upgraded to a 30 gallon. Then had a 55 gallon reef and 55 salt for years. Then I had my dream aquarium a 125 gal tall walk around acrylic with custom cherry stand and hood halides and 60 gal sump/refugium for years. The problem was 3 big sides of cleaning and it being so tall it was way too much work. I've been down this road before but want to do it right.
I think a 75 gallon bow acrylic is my biggest size with sump and auto water top off. I like the lights being hidden with hood. I want super hard corals but lower heat than halides that can be hidden. I had 55's and it seemed harder than my 120 to keep things thriving so that's why I want to try a 75.

What setup would you do? Any advice greatly appreciated! I'm a little rusty and can sure use the help.

Thanks much!
Alison

Technology is improving constantly. LEDs are getting more affordable. Skimmers improved. Controllers, though not cheap, really make life easier.

When we set up our 50 cube, the things that caught me off guard were the constant battle with nitrates because I didn't have something like a bio-pellet reactor, and the constant battle with heat because of the metal halide and the submersible sump pump. A small chiller would have solved our heat issue but I just didn't expect to have that problem in the first place.

Also, I'm a big fan of glass now. Acrylic was just too hard to clean without causing damage; for me anyway

Technology is improving constantly. LEDs are getting more affordable. Skimmers improved. Controllers, though not cheap, really make life easier.

When we set up our 50 cube, the things that caught me off guard were the constant battle with nitrates because I didn't have something like a bio-pellet reactor, and the constant battle with heat because of the metal halide and the submersible sump pump. A small chiller would have solved our heat issue but I just didn't expect to have that problem in the first place.

Also, I'm a big fan of glass now. Acrylic was just too hard to clean without causing damage; for me anyway

Thanks! I remember my 55 reef was a nitrates problem and heat as we'll. refugium helped me. All this new technology I'm so excited to read up! I like glass too, but with kids and a mantis once I'm not going down that road again.. Lol you understand. I just want to research it all and buy used again as you cycle quicker and get equipment for SO much less than retail.

Can led's these day in your opinion really keep SPS large stony corals thriving over halides? I don't mind halides again, but prefer to do something else.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Great to see you back.
Looking forward to following along with your new tank.
You know I really like the reef ready 75. Its a great size tank.

Allison,

Welcome back.

75g is a good size tank, but let me throw some ideas your way.

I would reverse engineer the choice of your tank..instead of picking the tank, then add fish, corals, etc.; I would think what exactly you plan on having in the tank.. fish? corals? no fish?

from there, then I would decide on the size of the tank. For example, if you want multiple tangs, then I would NOT get a 75g, instead I would get a 125g.

whatever size tank you decide on, you need to have the best damn skimmer and lights your budget can afford.

this will make your life easier when it comes to maintaining the tank...I think of the skimmer as the "brains" or to use a computer analogy, the CPU of the tank..
Keep in mind the choice of skimmer will be determine by the bio load in your tank..so this is why it is a good idea to determine the LIST FIRST, then let everything else fall into palce.

LED are more expensive upfront, BUT are cooler and no cost for replacement bulbs for 3-5 years.

Having a controller is nice toy to to have, but if you are going to spend money, spend it on the skimmer and lights FIRST, then controller second.

Hope this helps.
Kirk

Wheres that darn like button!

All great suggestions.
I went to Liveaquaria and looked at fish. they have pretty good info on the fish. suggested tank size and all. I have a 75. it is still a favorite of mine, but there were fish I wanted that needed 180 or bigger, so I ended with a 180 and then upgraded to a 240.

I agree, research what you would like to keep and then work on getting what you need to support them.

Allison,

Welcome back.

I would reverse engineer the choice of your tank..instead of picking the tank, then add fish, corals, etc.; I would think what exactly you plan on having in the tank.. fish? corals? no fish?

from there, then I would decide on the size of the tank. For example, if you want multiple tangs, then I would NOT get a 75g, instead I would get a 125g.

whatever size tank you decide on, you need to have the best damn skimmer and lights your budget can afford.

this will make your life easier when it comes to maintaining the tank...I think of the skimmer as the "brains" or to use a computer analogy, the CPU of the tank..
Keep in mind the choice of skimmer will be determine by the bio load in your tank..so this is why it is a good idea to determine the LIST FIRST, then let everything else fall into palce.

LED are more expensive upfront, BUT are cooler and no cost for replacement bulbs for 3-5 years.

Having a controller is nice toy to to have, but if you are going to spend money, spend it on the skimmer and lights FIRST, then controller second.

Hope this helps.
Kirk

Allison,

Welcome back.

Hope this helps.
Kirk

Thanks Kirk for all the info! I'm just mainly doing an SPS reef with clowns and chromis so I think the 75 will work. I would love a yellow tang, but if it doesn't fit that's ok. I like a healthy tank over my own wants.

Alison:)

Thanks! I'll have to check them out! I don't know if even my old favorite stores are around, but that's part of the fun in finding new stores. :)

I'm doing mainly a pretty reef with some chromis and a pair of clowns and that will be it for me. Some day when I retire I'll have the monster tank of my dreams built into the wall with a whole cleanup room behind!

instead of chromis how about anthias...not as aggressive as chromis and better color...just a thought..

Back