New Refugium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

57reefer

I’m in the process of designing a refugium for my reef when I finish removing the Bio Balls. I could sure use some help. I have never had one before. :?:
The ball chamber sits on 4 pegs inside my sump. The return line from my tank goes into the top of the ball chamber under that is a filter pad drawer. I’m looking at replacing the ball chamber with the refugium. It will need a place for the return line and filter pad. The light I plan to use is a mini coralife. http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium...life_mini_aqualight_lamp_fixtures.asp?CartId=
I don’t want to go taller that 16” so it will fit under my tank. I will appreciate any suggestions or opinions. Drawing and picture attached.
Tom

The light I listed is sold for $22 on some sights. I like this one because the light is focused down. The refugium will be made out of smoke colored acrylic. This will all help in reducing light pollution from the cabinet.

I just have a light socket and a plug with a $6 cf bulb 2700k and it works great. I put a hook into my stand and knotted the cord a hung it above the sump. The other light is nice looking but not necessary.

IMO, I don't think you need the filter pad. Infact, it can work against you if not changed or cleaned every 2-3 days as it will trap waste and detritus and breakdown water quality which is why some people don't use them if they are willing to keep up with maintenance.:)

As for the sump, I can't reallty tell if there is a baffle after the bioball chamber, but if not, here's what I'd probably do to make it an easy conversion. You will have to maximize the size of the attachments to see the pics clearly:)

(1) In attachment 1 - If you don't have the baffle which the green arrow points to, I'd add one there to keep whatever you want to keep in the refugium in place and not be transferred all through the entire sump.

(2) Attachment 2 show's the top lid removed and a small piece of acrlic added to one corner to house a bulkhead for the drain line coming from the overflow. Same as you see I have done on my sump intake in attachment 3. Just a thought...Hope that helps some and good luck!:)

Thanks Krish for the ideas. Question, if your entire overflow goes into the refugium isn’t that too much? I thought that the idea was to have a low flow thru it not to flush it.:confused:

Back