New research Fronteirs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jaymeany

Coral Dreamer
I read Advanced Aquarist everymonth and I have been doing a ton of research since I stared in this a little over 2 years ago. However, what is the latest research being done on captive system. Are we (the reef community and corporate R and D) just refining and contining with teh current research or are there new horizons. I see a lot of "best salt mix" and Lighting research being done, but I can't find the next big issue. I love reading the lighting opinions and I can't wait for the latest salt study, but with the current environmental issues of warming and massive bleaching what research is on the forefront? perhaps someone can direct me to how to find this research, I'm so interested in this that I don't want to miss out on the latest research! :)

its good to hear that some people are wanting to learn more about some real issues with reefing... we as a community are always trying to press the threshold for greater knowledge of the subject! Ill try and find some links to some of the stuff ive been reading........

It seems like there is more going into foods lately. Maybe it is my perception, but with different types of new foods available, and products out there for hobbyists to culture their own pods, it seems like more emphasis is being put on feeding our livestock. From the latest with Reef Nutrition, Coral Frenzy, Reef Chili, Oceanpods, etc. These new foods are creating an awareness among hobbyists to look at a different aspect of keeping fish and corals.

i am not able to acquier the products u mention but wil be buying sum new products that are made locally in w.a. which is always good but might not have the high quality that u guys get

ladygator said:
Hi - Oceanpods is local, check out the forum on Reef Frontiers under Essential Live Feeds is you want to find out more.

Good luck on your hunt

Just to clarify - I believe ladygator meant local to the seattle area in Washington state. Morgan was talking Western Australia. I'm not sure if foods in the US can be shipped to Australia?

Some more news

Well it looks like I am going to grad school and I will be allowed to develop my own course of study. My plan is to work with Captive marine ecosystems. Is there any areas besides nutrition that need research. I want to stay with captive systems in order to limit the effects on natural reefs. The person I talked to told me to try to contact some major researchers in the feild to get some ideas. What names pop into your heads that are approachable, like Sir Calfo. Thank you very much guys.

Boomer might be someone else that could give you some ideas, too.

I don't know how much help I'd be, since my thoughts focus more on medicine, but I would love more research in invertebrate medicine. I have SPS in QT right now and I found the resources limited in treating for Acro eating flatworms (AEFs). It would be nice if I didn't have to order cattle wormer to treat the incoming SPS for AEFs...its bad enough when corals come in with redbugs to be treated with dog heartworm meds. It would be nice if there was some hobbyist level meds to use (although some claim success with betadine). Pinched mantle in clams is another area I'd love to see more research in.....if it is a protozoan, then what can be used to treat it successfully?

What about looking into replacing the wild depleted coral stocks with captive raised stocks.

Chris

Kathy55g said:
How about breeding? there are many marine fish that cannot yet be bred in captivity. That will keep you busy for a decade!

Don't forget mobile invertebrates :D There are a lot of possibilities with them as well. Personally I would love to see someone tackle sexy shrimp (it has been done before). Heck, I might do it if I can find the time and convince the wife to let me put another tank in :)

Brian

Brian - I wonder what the greater challenge would be....convincing the wife, or breeding the shrimp ;) :D

NaH2O said:
Brian - I wonder what the greater challenge would be....convincing the wife, or breeding the shrimp ;) :D

HAHA. Convincing the wife hands down. We have an agreement: No more tanks in this house, but I get to do whatever I want in the next house with at least a 10x10 fish room. So it looks like the shrimp project will have to wait for a couple of years :( It will be worth the wait though.

Brian

Clownguy said:
What about looking into replacing the wild depleted coral stocks with captive raised stocks.

Chris

after i get rich(ha) plan on seeing me living in a hut snorkeling corals back onto the reef from captivity
.....until the tsunami gets me...
seriously though, it is one of my dreams to do this, i know there is a fair amount of new research and whatnot in this field and that places like belize and australia are already starting to try reseeding captive raised corals back into the wild, very exciting!!

I'm taking in everything I can about goniporas in the captive system (if you read my thread on the beginners side you'll understand why) and can a system be healthy using just the fuge set-up. S-W just for you ;). Mike.

As an adjunct to nutrition, I think the next big husbandry issue being researched is going to involve the care of non-zooxanthellate corals. A lot of people are trying to figure out systems and feeding for a lot of beautiful animals. And the possibilities for exporting nutrients out of our systems are so much better now that it seems obvious that it'll be the next big wave (I hope).

LED lighting is a good area in electronics for much needed research. Also better way to control and operate Calcium and Kalkwasser Reactor in tandem.

Back