New RO/DI Unit

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pitmam01

Blondie911
My husband installed my RO/DI unit yesterday and we tossed out the first 4 gallons it produced (as per the instrux). The meter says the water going in, is 0.4 and the water coming out, is 0. Is there any other way I can make sure everything is good with the water it's producing, before I put it in my tank??

What is the "average" reading of water going in??

There really is no average it just depends on where you live. Mine was 34 this morning and other have measurments of around 300. 34 is very low much lower than most.
.4 is better than some get from their rodi units. I'd check to make sure the meter is connected properly.

Don

I'm not positive from your post, what you are testing that you are receiving a reading of ".4". ???

Normally, people test TDS, or Total Desolved Solids. This is accomplished with an inexpensive meter (about $25ish). The "normal" TDS reading depends on several things... like the area of the country you live in... City, or Well water... things like that.

Normally... tap water will read about 50+ (upwards of 400-500 in some places) for Total Desolved Solids present... and after running through your RO/DI unit... hopefully you will be down at least under 10 (for those with extreamly high TDS tap water readings)... to at or near zero for the rest of us.

My tap water has a reading of around 117 TDS... and I get Zero out of my RODI... for compairison for you.

I guess, my original question would be... "What are you testing for, that you're getting a .4 reading"???

I have the meter attached to the "water in" and "water out" hoses. I just ran it again, the water (from my tap) started at 10 then went down to 005. The water coming out is reading 0. I live in a city, house is about 10 years old.

:confused:

I'm not positive from your post, what you are testing that you are receiving a reading of ".4". ???

Normally, people test TDS, or Total Desolved Solids. This is accomplished with an inexpensive meter (about $25ish). The "normal" TDS reading depends on several things... like the area of the country you live in... City, or Well water... things like that.

Normally... tap water will read about 50+ (upwards of 400-500 in some places) for Total Desolved Solids present... and after running through your RO/DI unit... hopefully you will be down at least under 10 (for those with extreamly high TDS tap water readings)... to at or near zero for the rest of us.

My tap water has a reading of around 117 TDS... and I get Zero out of my RODI... for compairison for you.

I guess, my original question would be... "What are you testing for, that you're getting a .4 reading"???

Is that 005 or .005 If it 005 that is possible but pretty much unheard of. If you call your water company they will tell you their average tds. What brand of meter is this?

Don

It's an Ocean Reef 1 from The Filter Guys. It is a dual TDS meter. It reads anywhere from 007 to 005.

Is that 005 or .005 If it 005 that is possible but pretty much unheard of. If you call your water company they will tell you their average tds. What brand of meter is this?

Don

I think you have a HM meter. Look right where the probes enter the "t's" The probes will have a pen mark as will the "t's". Make sure those marks are aligned.

Don

Hope you're ready for a laugh. The meter reading of 005 was coming from the membrane, not the tap!!!!!!!! Ok, Ok, at least I admitted it!!!!

:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

I think you have a HM meter. Look right where the probes enter the "t's" The probes will have a pen mark as will the "t's". Make sure those marks are aligned.

Don

Duhh (Hoomer) :D

Hope you're ready for a laugh. The meter reading of 005 was coming from the membrane, not the tap!!!!!!!! Ok, Ok, at least I admitted it!!!!

:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

I just set up a SpectraPure for myself. Tap water sits around 350 for me (central CA). Out of the RO is 2, and first DI drops it to 0 TDS. Second DI is supposed to be a "Silica Buster," but I haven't looked into it any further.

Just curious, pitmam, are you in the central CA area?

Yes, Central Valley.

I just set up a SpectraPure for myself. Tap water sits around 350 for me (central CA). Out of the RO is 2, and first DI drops it to 0 TDS. Second DI is supposed to be a "Silica Buster," but I haven't looked into it any further.

Just curious, pitmam, are you in the central CA area?

If you know, what is your pressure? I can't get my rodi under 10. input 130ish at 55psi. Will a booster help?

Last edited:
If you know what is your pressure? I can't get my rodi under 10. input 130ish at 55psi. Will a booster help?

Yes it will help a little. What is the rejection rate of the membrane? You have to take the numbers on the tds meter as a very rough guide. Sheman's for example are low on the output. We know this because its nearly impossible to have perfect conditions for the membrane. Even if the conditions were dead on a incomming tds of 350 would net a tds 7. At 130 with a 98% membrane you should be in the 2 range.

Don

When I'm running the unit, it stays at 60. As far as a booster, I'll leave that up to others on this site who actually know what they're doing, lol!!!
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have a question pertaining to RO/DI units. I installed a new Kent Maxxima. I followed the instruction, and the membrane was seated correctly. My question is that during first operation I had water shoot out the waste hose for a few seconds then I got all product water. The waste line was producing 1 drop per second. Is this normal for the northwest?

I live in Shoreline, Wa. I was expecting tons of waste water and that isn't the case. Just wondering if it is operating correctly.

Yes it will help a little. What is the rejection rate of the membrane? You have to take the numbers on the tds meter as a very rough guide. Sheman's for example are low on the output. We know this because its nearly impossible to have perfect conditions for the membrane. Even if the conditions were dead on a incomming tds of 350 would net a tds 7. At 130 with a 98% membrane you should be in the 2 range.

Don
She-man!? You wanna start somethin'?! :)

My RO/DI is also brand spankin' new. It's only about 20 gallons old, at best, at this point. Also, it's 110 TDS coming into the RO is after the 0.5 micron sediment and 0.5 micron GAC. My tap water, as mentioned, is in the mid 300s, somewhere. I sure wish I had more pressure, though. 45psi is a GOOD day.

Back