New RODI problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Beeba

Finally got a RODI system set up in the basement and did a water change this weekend. I have a 72 gallon tank and I changed 15 gallon to start. I've had a green hair algea problem for so long I don't remember not having it. I was hoping the RODI water would help eliminate this problem since I've tried most everything else. Now I have a brown diatom algea problem like a new tank. It is on the glass, rock, sand, etc. Can anyone help me figure out why? Is this common when changing to RODI water?

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/ Visit Info links Hitch Hikers and algae area...

I would make sure you ID that stuff ...even take a water sample with it in it to a LFS.

As for RO/DI ...the devise if working properly strips all the nasty stuff out... If you are not sure... Test the water you are producing with your test kit.

As for Hair Algae...God I hate that stuff. My source was Phosphates...and I had to lierally pull that stuff off by hand..rock by rock..even used a scrub brush. talk about a chore.

It seems you may have to get Sherlock Holmes on this and actually find out the root of your problems with the Hair Algae... as for the brown stuff...

Are you very sure its Diatom? It might even be ..god forbid...Cyano... ACK!

Post this thread in General section up top...

Provide Tank specs
Skimmer
Lights ..>Lighting Periods

Test kit readings also

RO/DI unit brand info...

And if you could take pictures for RF members...I am very sure these people at RF site can help you find the root problem and help you get things back to normal.

PS ... Also Feeding habbits

What do you feed ..how often.. and how much...
What is your maintenance schedule? weekly changes..bi weekly how much? Salt brand you use...etc etc.. More info the better for the experts in RF.

Bio load? Corals? Type? how many fish do you have? etc etc etc.

I have had the tank (also a 72 gallon bow front) up and running for four years and this brown algae is new. Phosphates were my problem with the green so that is why I hoped the RODI would help. The brown algae didn't start until after I did the water change on Monday evening. I use Instant Ocean salt. I have about eight fish all under 3 inches and I feed one cube of marine cuisine every other day. I used to feed daily but I thought if I cut back for awhile it might help get rid of the hair algae.

some salt mixes contain phosphates and silicates which actually encourage algal growth. Test your new water for all parameters including these to see what you are really putting in the tank.

It's not common, but make certain the RODI is hooked up properly, and did you flush it prior to using the water for the tank? Is there a provision to test the TDS of the outgoing water?

especially check to make sure your DI Resin cartridges are installed right side up. This has bitten me twice bad. Even though there usually is an arrow, for some brain damage reason I have messed this up and caused major issues in my tank.

I am suspicious that this may not be diatom but rather dinoflagellates instead. Any pics of this?
Does it blow off easily when you take a turkey baster to it or does it form and skin covering on the rocks?

If it is dino, you would be making it much worse by doing water changes :)

I don't have much more info about it yet but it disappeared after a few days. I'm going to do another water change this week with the new water and see if there are any other problems. I will test my tank before and after and also test the water straight out of the RODI. I did flush it but didn't check to see if it was upside down. I'll check that also. I'll give an update later this week with testing results and such.

Back