New salt mix

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hooked82

So I was reading a post by Boomer replying to EdHahn about premixing salt and aerating for 24 hours prior to use. Boomer replied with a link http://web.archive.org/web/20011217234403/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1997/sep/bio/default.asp that I found pretty interesting.
My question is, can this be accomplished with a MJ1200, modded of course, and an air pump? I put one of my modded MJ's in my mix tank pointing down to keep salt from settling to the bottom, then took the air pump and put it right up to the intake on the MJ1200. The water surface is now fizzing like this was a can of coca cola with pop rocks thrown in. Quite a bit of aeration. Will this work for a quick mix? I will let it go for a day as I don't need it till tomorrow, but for future reference it may come in handy, if an emergency arises. Thanks.

I personally don't see why not. All you are really doing over the course of a 24 hour period is mixing the salt and aerating it thoroughly anyways. I think at 2,000 gph (which is what they say a modded mj1200 puts out) plus tons of micro bubbles should do the trick in a matter of minutes:)

as long as you are moving water you are aerating it. I mix 200 gallons at a time and keep a mag 12 in the container to keep the water aerated.

You are not looking for aeration and fizz. Aeration and mixing are not the same thing as poined out by the article linked. Pull out the air pump. The air pump is fractionating the water, which you are trying to get away from. You have truned your tub/container into a giant skimmer. Heavy aeration can cause the precip of CaCO3, especially in a new salt mix. Just like you do not aerate kalk for the same reason. All this aeration dirves off the CO2 to quickly, which helps keep the components in solution, rasies the pH and drives the reaction to the left.

can this be accomplished with a MJ1200, modded of course, and an air pump

No :)

It is not that you can not mix/aerate a salt mix as you posted. It is it will not mix in 5 min like the article, which I think is what you are trying to achieve. If you cover the tub/container you will vget better results

Back