New Sand Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DolphinLVR

RF Premium Member
I am going to be putting new sand in my 180 setup this week! Would you rinse it prior (about 200 lbs) or would you just put it in the tank?

Just to let you know I will be putting RODI in the tank directly from the RODI unit, so it will be trickling in.

I rinse my sand otherwise you will have a calcium cloud for 2-3 days and not be able to see anything in the tank..

Some like mounds and some like almond joy:). Which ever method you choose will work and yeah if you don't rinse you will have to deal with the cloud for a few days but like you said. I too can live with that LOL. I'm lazy so for my system I just dumped it in. It took about 3 days to completely clear up. Besides you are not putting in any LS in there yet anyhow so I say save your self the labor and dump it in the tank and let your system rip. How ever though it is best to have your rock work in before you put the sand in. So that way the rock is sitting on the aquarium floor and not on the sand so that down the road you don't have any possible rock avalanche in your tank due to the rockwork shifting in the sand.

Some like mounds and some like almond joy:). Which ever method you choose will work and yeah if you don't rinse you will have to deal with the cloud for a few days but like you said. I too can live with that LOL. I'm lazy so for my system I just dumped it in. It took about 3 days to completely clear up. Besides you are not putting in any LS in there yet anyhow so I say save your self the labor and dump it in the tank and let your system rip. How ever though it is best to have your rock work in before you put the sand in. So that way the rock is sitting on the aquarium floor and not on the sand so that down the road you don't have any possible rock avalanche in your tank due to the rockwork shifting in the sand.

I will have rock platforms in place, then put the sand in, then the rock then the RODI :D

I personally never rinse my sand that comes in bags. I just dump it into the tank slowly and deal with some clouding. Dry sand on the other hand I would rinse with RO water.

I don't really care if it clouds up as the ocean reefs cloud up from time to time when the waves surge and the such. I try and stir up my sandbed from time to time too.

Back