New Setup Feedback 55g tank 10g Sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nitrites,Nitrates,Phosphates All Low for a month and a half.PH 8.1 (Calcium Really High bad Good???) Had a Bubble tip anemone go through the power head 5 days ago. As you can see everything is recovering very well (after a 50% water change and carbon). Just started to learn about Salt Water Tanks. Survived Velvet Disease, Anemone Through Power Head and Homemade Media Reactor Fail.
Bunch of Moving White Specs Just Went Away Today Read That They Are Not Really BAd.

-4 t5's Supernova Light half and half
-PF800 Overflow
-10 Gallon Sump
-Koralia Power head 245gph (switched out the 850)
-Jebo 100g Canister Filter
-Jebo UV Sanitizer
-Koralia Pump 450gph
-Live Rock Guess on the lbs?
-Live Sand
-Poli Reactor with Carbon and Phosban (Phosban Is REALLY GOOD)

Live Stock
2-Heads of Xenia (Exact Kind??) Pink
1-Rock of Mushrooms
1-Group of Zoas
1-Horseshoe Crab
1-Sand Sifter Starfish
3-Big Snails
5-Clowns (2 Going in my 14g Biocube)
3- Anemones Please tell me what Kind the White 1 is. I cant Feed Him. The other 1 is puffed up due to the anemone through he power head incident but still eating
1-Blood Red Shrimp
5-Damsels (They Survived The Cycling in both tanks)
1-Blue Tang
1-Torch Coral (What do I do with the side that died from slime?)
That is it I think???
any comments????
O Yeah my Temp Goes from 79.7-82 degrees everyday know of a cheap fix?

Last edited:
More Pics of my tank. Please tell me how my mushrooms zoa and the big anemone is doing.

1st pic -Sump- 10g - 1st section is for Rock, 2nd for algae but no light yet (protein skimmer empties there), 3rd past bubble trap return.

2nd pic -The big anemone is surviving the previously mentioned power head incident. What are the white lines near its mouth?

3rd pic -The torch has a head that died from slime what should I do with it?

4th pic -How My Mushrooms Doing? 10 points if you spot the unwanted Anemone. O M Gosh 2 of them uh o.

5th pic -The small anemone will prob. die do to the same reason. Anything I can Do?

My Very First Post Has A Pic Of A White Anemone. What is it? It doesn't like light and I don't know how to feed it.

Last edited:
Ya great start !

I had a nem like that a while back that was white and
kinda like to hide from the light . I use silversides and
raw shrimp pieces when i feed my anemones . The one thing
that i learned whith the white one that died in the end is
put them in and let them find where they want to be .
I was moving it all the time thinking i knew better as to
where a good spot for him was and where i wanted
it to be and it got really mad and never looked the
same ever again . Never actually found it so who knows
mine might still be in there .

looking nice.
just a suggestion, I'd take the rock out of the sump, imo it belongs in the display tank.
get a skimmer. get a skimmer.

any chance you have room for a bigger sump?

and don't add anything more for a couple months atleast, let things settle out for a while.

I say keep the rocks in the sump a good place for pods to hide bread and play. but agree with getting a skimmer and bigger sump if a 10 is the only size that will fit got with a 20 tall. and did you test for a power failure if the sump will over flow. it will not tank alot of water to flood a 10 gallon sump.

With the dead part of the torch, you have two options, you can leave it there or if you can break that part off do so. Personally, I like to leave it on there so that it can serve as a post for wedging in rocks. It's just a skeleton. For cooling your tank, you can add a clip on fan and point it so that it blows the air over the surface of the water. How long have you had the tank up and running?

I say keep the rocks in the sump a good place for pods to hide bread and play. but agree with getting a skimmer and bigger sump if a 10 is the only size that will fit got with a 20 tall. and did you test for a power failure if the sump will over flow. it will not tank alot of water to flood a 10 gallon sump.

the only reason I suggested removing the rock is to make room for a skimmer.:D

looking nice.
just a suggestion, I'd take the rock out of the sump, imo it belongs in the display tank.
get a skimmer. get a skimmer.

any chance you have room for a bigger sump?

and don't add anything more for a couple months at least, let things settle out for a while.

I Have A Skimmer!!! in the sump. No room For a bigger sump that's why I'm running the canister. The Skimmer is a hang on flowing into the 2nd chamber. I doesn't fit inside the sump I tried. I cant remove the lid to clean the skimate. Going to put a float valve in for an auto top off.

Last edited:
With the dead part of the torch, you have two options, you can leave it there or if you can break that part off do so. Personally, I like to leave it on there so that it can serve as a post for wedging in rocks. It's just a skeleton. For cooling your tank, you can add a clip on fan and point it so that it blows the air over the surface of the water. How long have you had the tank up and running?
Tank has been up for a little over a month. I had live sand and live rock and cycled with 5 damsels (first 3 died)

the only reason I suggested removing the rock is to make room for a skimmer.:D

I like the rock in there? I dunno why I might throw in some bio balls to take up some space and add more suface area. Trying to grow a lot of purle coraline:eek:

Last edited:

Sure Did. I cant fit a bigger tank in there. I can barely fit my hand in there. I also have a apc power backup. Im a IT student so i had an extra 1

Here is a Look @ the back of the tank with skimmer

Last edited:
I like the rock in there? I dunno why I might throw in some bio balls to take up some space and add more suface area. Trying to grow a lot of purle coraline:eek:

not a good idea.
the live rock in the display tank will provide all the surface area for bacteria to grow if you give it the proper time.

I'd look into a better skimmer. seaclones are terrible skimmers.

Tank has been up for a little over a month.
I see that you have been bit by the bug. Only a month and you've added so much in your tank. You will continue to have more spikes so don't be surprised if you lose more corals and/or fish. The key to this hobby is patience. Try not adding anymore to your tank until it's fully cycled.

I agree with getting a better skimmer. Having a Seaclone is just like having an airstone in your tank. Check out the SWC brand skimmers, they have great HOB ones.

I would also not use bioballs (they trap detritus really well which will cause ammonia spikes), try using algae like cheato instead (plus is that it will suck out the nutrients in the tank that the bad algae (ex. hair algae) uses to bloom in your tank. Of course you'll need a light under there but it doesn't have to be that strong. Small pc will do.

I see that you have been bit by the bug. Only a month and you've added so much in your tank. You will continue to have more spikes so don't be surprised if you lose more corals and/or fish. The key to this hobby is patience. Try not adding anymore to your tank until it's fully cycled.

I agree with getting a better skimmer. Having a Seaclone is just like having an airstone in your tank. Check out the SWC brand skimmers, they have great HOB ones.

I would also not use bioballs (they trap detritus really well which will cause ammonia spikes), try using algae like cheato instead (plus is that it will suck out the nutrients in the tank that the bad algae (ex. hair algae) uses to bloom in your tank. Of course you'll need a light under there but it doesn't have to be that strong. Small pc will do.
I have been looking for a small pc 18w or 24w but every1 wants like $50 bucks for 1. That is insane. Any ideas???

Im also Removing all 5 of the damsels. The tricky part is I am not even coming close to catching them.

Will the Cheato help get rid of the green algae? All my chem test are good but my calcium is @ 500 Im doing a small water change tomorrow hopefully it will bring it down

Last edited:
Back