New setup, live rock cycling.DO We USE the Lights!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Pablo Mithels

Ok, quick starter question, it has been quite awhile since my last reef. I just setup a 15G tank with a 45 g sump, which I just placed 40 lbs of live rock. Do I use the lights while waiting the 2 -6 weeks for cycle?
Thanks in advance.

Yea I would, when you use light it will keep some of the macro algae alive instead of letting it just die and then having to wait for that to decompose. On the other hand if you do not want any of the macro algae then I would go with the lights off, but its your call.

Mojo

Mojo pretty much said it.... I like to run my lights while the tank is cycling

I'd agree with both. Run your lights, at a normal light cycle. Otherwise, if you leave your lights off, during the cycle, once the cycle is complete and you light everything up, you'll probably get a sudden growth spurt, from any available algae. This could result in an unwanted phyto bloom.

bah, so with 65 pounds of rock in the sump and about 40 gallons of water and a 15 gallon tank with 2 inches of sand, crabs and snails and some softies and polyps that just developed on the rock my MH fried! Going to switch to a tall 45 gallon and as much as it hurts I have to buy a new lighting system for the 45G which is to be SPS only... so far it seems I need to go with a 250w HQI but unsure if at 20k i will need t5 actinics?? thoughts.....anyone

ps, i don't have pics yet but will soon

Update. I have not cycled...65lbs of really good live rock has been running since the 2nd of the month, on the 3rd day there was a faint little hint of Ammonia and since then nothing, not even Nitrate! The rock I pulled from the sump had some Zo's however many more have appeared, two little Kenya's have sprouted, i see a bunch of tiny starfish and I put in a small cleaner critter package. I have also only seen 2 copepods.......yesterday i put in a tiny Goby..we will see

ttank.jpg

my MH fried! Going to switch to a tall 45 gallon and as much as it hurts I have to buy a new lighting system for the 45G which is to be SPS only... so far it seems I need to go with a 250w HQI but unsure if at 20k i will need t5 actinics?? thoughts.....anyone

ps, i don't have pics yet but will soon

Your ballast blow? If so, I have plenty and you have some credit :>)

Update. I have not cycled...65lbs of really good live rock has been running since the 2nd of the month, on the 3rd day there was a faint little hint of Ammonia and since then nothing, not even Nitrate! The rock I pulled from the sump had some Zo's however many more have appeared, two little Kenya's have sprouted, i see a bunch of tiny starfish and I put in a small cleaner critter package. I have also only seen 2 copepods.......yesterday i put in a tiny Goby..we will see

After your ammonia spiked and started to drop off, did you test for nitrite as that would be the next in line to spike not nitrate? Nitrate comes after nitrite has spiked and has started to drop off so let us know. If you haven't checked your nitrite levels (not nitrate) then I'd do a quick test just to see where those leves are as nitrite is still pretty toxic and also a sign that your initial cycle isn't completed.

On the lights while cycling, I use to run mine for just a few hours a day while cycling to keep some of the life alive on the rock like coralline etc, but not for the full 8 hours like I would normally run them on a cycled tank. Many ways to do it and it seems you have things under control so good luck! :)

I am sorry, meant to say Nitrite, did check, zero?? and oops, maybe I misunderstood from initial post but I will reduce the light time as I have been running them 12 hours.

I have not done a tank this way B4, used really good LR and water from the same tank and doing a 25% water change once a week, things are growing out of control.... but.. a cycle will come with the addition of the sand, 20lbs
and thank you

Last edited:
On line? Can it be canceled or returned? I have 5 extra 250w electronic ballasts...

Its already up and running:(
However, I will remember this for the future, things blew, i panicked and had to fix right away.

Your rock is amazing! Hopefully on the weekend I can switch my stuff out as I just bought a 20G , going to plumb this weekend and in a bit you will see what your tank has seeded over here!!! I did pick up another 25lbs of LR making my sump have around 65 pounds. I also put 10 lbs of sand in the tank and already, 3 days, in random spots litle feather duster looking things are growing out of the sand and they are always open.
very many thank you's for all

Mike,

Not to get off topic, but would you possibly be willing to sell two of them? All I have now is those cheap silver box ballasts :p

Back