New Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MOjo,

Most impressive!
You amaze me man.

You actually inspired my tank without reallyknowing it :D

I love that 90 degree look you have so that is why I am setting my 270 up to be edge on viewable as well as frontal traditional :D

showphoto.php
This is my new skimmer body,me friend Steve M,made for me. 13" X46" tall.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! Hope you enjoy the site. That's some skimmer!

Thanks Nikki, I can hardly wait to get it up,and running. I'm looking for the air pump,and air stones now. Ted Ps I think I need to start a new thread. I'm sorry I didn't want to highjack this thread.

Just a comment regarding the issues with the Ocean Runner pumps. I am having a custom skimmer constructed, and have asked for the Hailea pumps that the manufacturer normally uses to be replaced with Ocean Runners.

I notice from the schematic on the first page of this thread that the height from skimmer base to top of reaction chamber is about 60", or 1.52 m, and of course the skimmer neck would increase this further. Having read through the documentation on the AquaMedic website after reading Mike's issues, I notice that the OR pumps are only rated to a maximum depth of 1m. I know AquaMedic does make some very tall skimmers themselves, but perhaps this goes some way to explaining Mike's "weak" pumps?

Yea dyna probibly. In that version of the unit the pumps were only under about a foot of water the balance was just foam. I just found the pumps to not produce enough air bubbles.

MIke

I talked with Kevin,at Aquatic Eco Systems about air pumps,and defusers. He stated that to get the super fine bubbles you need for a skimmer, you need ultra fine pore stones,and a compressor with a min of 25 PSI. He said the bubbles from the fine pore Oxygen / Ozone stones come no where near as fine as the ones from the lime wood defusers. Ted

Reefrubble said:
I talked with Kevin,at Aquatic Eco Systems about air pumps,and defusers. He stated that to get the super fine bubbles you need for a skimmer, you need ultra fine pore stones,and a compressor with a min of 25 PSI. He said the bubbles from the fine pore Oxygen / Ozone stones come no where near as fine as the ones from the lime wood defusers. Ted

Let me be as blunt as I can and tell you they have no idea what they are talking about. I spent as much time on the phone with them as a human can tolerate to listen to their babble crap, and my conclusion at the end is that we were talking about 2 complitely different animals. They have no idea of the type of bubble sizes we are looking for, differences, etc. Even after you given them a mini lecture about it, they are too arrogant and know-it-all to pay attention to anything you said.

Back