New Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

2 cfm is alot of air, I figure my skimmer is pushing 2.25 to 2.5 cfm just figured I would say that. I think the pump model are built with psi to cfm ratios built in. From the way it was put to me, psi has to do with the stone but mostly to do with how deep your going into water. So if only a few feet 1 to 5 psi linear type pump, 10 feet to twenty then you would go wit a compressor style pump, deeper even the a blower. So what I am saying is get an air pump that has the cfm you want and don't worry so much about the psi as the pump is matched proportionately?? that make sense?? lol
On the pump if you go with the whitewater line then that would be the LT19 which pushes 2.5cfm

mike

mojoreef said:
2 cfm is alot of air, I figure my skimmer is pushing 2.25 to 2.5 cfm just figured I would say that. I think the pump model are built with psi to cfm ratios built in. From the way it was put to me, psi has to do with the stone but mostly to do with how deep your going into water. So if only a few feet 1 to 5 psi linear type pump, 10 feet to twenty then you would go wit a compressor style pump, deeper even the a blower. So what I am saying is get an air pump that has the cfm you want and don't worry so much about the psi as the pump is matched proportionately?? that make sense?? lol
On the pump if you go with the whitewater line then that would be the LT19 which pushes 2.5cfm

mike

Mike,

It's a little more than simply selecting a compressor based on ACFM (actual cubic feet per minute) which is measured at compressor inlet. Depending upon the compressors ability to develop pressure this will vary greatly.

If you select simply based on CFM and use a fine bubble air stone, which normally requires higher pressure for a fixed air flow, you may not deliver anywhere near the air flow required. Example: Your LT19 is rated 2.5 cfm @ 0 psig. If the airstone has a 2 psig pressure drop to make fine bubbles, it will only deliver 1.5 cfm or a 3 psig pressure drop only 1 cfm. Which also shows the need for selecting the right size and number airstones also.

Also, the compressor needs to take into account the static liquid head from the skimmer. Example: a 4.6 foot high skimmer needs 2 psig pressure just to overcome the liquid pressure.(2.31 feet of water =1 psig) Then you add on the pressure drop of the airstone, assume 2 psig. If you go to the LT19 curve you will see it can't deliver more than 1 ACFM of air.

No matter what size compressor you select it will only pass a certain amount of a per air stone. Airstones are often rated in fractions of a CFM at a certain pressure, the pressure often being 5 or 10 psig. Which the small compressors used for aquariums often can't even develop.

I agree a compressor should be slightly over sized that is able to overcome increasing back pressure from the airstone blinding with age, but it is foolish to buy one too big and restrict the flow. Since an airstones can only pass a set amount of air, oversizing a compressor too much is a waste of energy and will make the compressor run too hot and reduce its life, and not give any better airflow to the skimmer. :cry:

Like a centrifugal pump a compressor will always remain some place on it perfomance curve. Too large a capacity and it will just force it up its perfomance curve and waste energy. If the compressor delivers too much air it is better to put a small valve on a T in the line and bleed off air, rather than valve it down and restrict the air flow; which will reduce the load on the compressor and motor.

Last edited:
ROFL LDRHawke you know as soon as I pressed the submit button I realised you would be here to put some logic to that question. Thanks for the back up.

MIke

mojoreef said:
ROFL LDRHawke you know as soon as I pressed the submit button I realised you would be here to put some logic to that question. Thanks for the back up.

MIke

Too many of my early years spent in the pump and compressor field. :lol:

PS How is your skimmer doing? :confused: Any pictures in operation?

You can't install too big a skimmer. :D I can't get over how quickly my new skimmer reacts to increased protein load. I feed the fish and in 20 minutes the skimmer goes from little output to loading a pint of fresh skimmate into my jug.

I put a link to some pictures above, take a peek. Skimmer is still skimming, I have Eric Borneman coming over tonite, I am not sure if I should show it to him, he might have a heart attack at all the plankton I am killing,lol

Mike

rufio173 said:
Hey redeye,

I think you'll start running into problems if you are really going to try to push 120CFH through your skimmer if you are running your water level at 40". I mean, I think Mike has already found out that these stones produce a ridiculous amount of foam, so unless you are extending your skimmer another 3 feet or so, making your skimmer height over 76".... You might get some wet skimmate if your skimmer isn't tall enough. Of course you could always regulate the amount of air you are injecting.

What will be the diameter of the skimmer? I mean, 120SCFH translates to around 3200lph, most hobbyist skimmers don't even come close to that number. I think a lot of people with double becketts aren't even pushing anywhere close to that... I imagine a lot of people are at best only pushing around 2500lph through their current double beckett configurations.

Peace,
John H.

Thanks John,

This is what I am trying to figure out. My skimmer is 8" dia & 38-40" high (I can't remember). I may be able to exstend it to about 45" before I run out of room (I would have to talk Brent into making me another skimmer neck/cup).

So for the right air pump, should I be targeting 1 - 1.5 CFM? Assume 1 PSI for air stones and 1.5 for water column, total 2.5 PSI. I would go with 4 - 6" fine stones rated at .5 CFM each. So if I am right so far, I am looking for an air pump that pushes 1.5 CFM at 2.5 PSI? Right? :confused:

Mike,

Now that you've been running this skimmer for awhile... how do your inhabitants look? I know this is a fairly subjective question, but have you seen any changes in things in your tank for the better/worse?

Peace,
John H.

Hey John I missed your post, sorry.

Skimmer was going strong up until about 5 days ago, the foam is still strong but I thinnk I have hit the point at this moment where thier is not much left to skim, if any, lol The tank is crystal clear, with some floating detritus. All corals are in grow mode, color is as good as normal, Orp is around 425, ph is stable although I think I am going to raise it a little higher to 8.45.

So really all looks pretty strong

Mike

Thanks Mike! Sounds like it has been doing its thing. You gotta be happy when your skimmer gets to a point where it has really just scrubbed your tank clean. :)

One quick question, and I'm sure this has run through your mind... you don't think the stones have gotten clogged up and that is maybe why you hit that ceiling?

Peace,
John

No I dont yet John, they are still producing a ton of small bubbles and I have the pump still cut in half for out put. Well to be honest I did increase the air a tiny bit so say from 50% out put to 55%. Not much really. I am keeping an good eye on the stones John as they are the make it or break it, Right now its been up for close to 2 months and I would have to say, its doing better then expected

mike

rufio173 said:
Excellent...

You'd really have to see this monster in person to fully understand how well it produces foam. The amount of foam for such a small amount of water in incredible.

Don

Hey all,

I've been searching around for the perfect pump and I think I got pretty close. It is called the alita linear air pump and it is supposedly comparable to the sweetwater II linear air pumps, but they are slightly cheaper.

You can get the alita 40lpm at webbsonline for 194.95 with free shipping. It is 36db and runs at 46 W and delivers around 1.8cfm at 2.0PSI.

Peace,
John H.

rufio173 said:
Hey all,

I've been searching around for the perfect pump and I think I got pretty close. It is called the alita linear air pump and it is supposedly comparable to the sweetwater II linear air pumps, but they are slightly cheaper.

You can get the alita 40lpm at webbsonline for 194.95 with free shipping. It is 36db and runs at 46 W and delivers around 1.8cfm at 2.0PSI.

Peace,
John H.

What can you compare 36db to.

Don

donw,

The 36db should be fairly well muffled in a solid stand. Like edgerat said, 60 db is about where normal conversation at 3 to 5 ft is (I know bad grammar, so shoot me!). :)

Think of 40 db as a day in a fairly quiet residential neighborhood. Stuff is going on, but you most likely won't hear it once it's melted into the background.

Peace,
John H.

I'm a little confused. How much air does a 10"x60" skimmer with no mixing box need? Or better yet can somebody suggest a pump and stone combo. I dont have an aquatics eco catalog so part numbers will help. Also, I tried a wetneck out of 3/8" ice maker tubing and drilled holes aimed at the neck tied together with a t to form a circle. Tubing was tight fit inside the neck. The water covered the entire neck in one thin layer easily. This worked awesome in the bath tub. Super low pressure and off level was not a problem.

Mustang I am glad someone finaly tried the tubing method for the wet neck. I think its a much much simple form of doing it then my method was. As per your skimmer I would say it needs no more then 2 cfm (but again its really hard to judge) so the Whitewater LT19 which blows 2.5 at 5 psi. If you go to http://www.aquacave.com/Whitewater.htm thier 129.00 or you could go with the ALITA AL-40 which does 1.8 cfm.
Let say you go with a pump that does 2 cfm. make sure you get the right stones from Aquatic eco systems. I would recommend 4 of the alr150cp which are 6 inch stones with 1/2 cpvc fittings. I would then put them on a 1/2 4 way pointing up.

I am still kinda leaning more towards the whitewater unit, that extra psi really drives the air and you get more cfm anfor less money

Mike

Back