New Sps reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hingeback

Experienced reefer but certainly not an expert and still learning. I am setting up a new sps reef. It is completely set up from new. Nothing has been used from other tanks
It is 50g (uk) with 20g sump. Its has a 250w 10000k mh light. Turnover is 30x. Has a Deltec mce600 skimmer.
Upto now 40kg live rock. Tank is cycled.
Params are Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, sg 1.025, calcium 420, mg 1320,
dkh 14, temp 76, phosphate 0.
I know my dkh is high what can I do, nothing has been dosed. When do you think that I may be able to add a sps frag, remembering water is completely fresh. What is a good sps to start with. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated

I like to use cheap bland coral to start with like digitata or monti caps. They are easy and your not out a bunch if something goes wrong. Your dkh will start falling pretty quick as soon as you start adding sps and the coraline takes off.

Don

you could add one or two now.. like Don said, add some easy ones like a monti.digita..

Thanks for the answers. I was a little concerned about the high dkh and adding sps.
Any more advice, tips, anything would be most appreciated.

I think before you start adding sps. I'd make sure you know in advance how your going to deal with dosing demands. You dont want your levels swinging all over the place while you figure it out.

Don

Hi Don,
Thaks for your reply. I am going to be dosing Brightwell Aquatics Reef Code A and Reef Code B. A is a calcium supp and B is a buffer. Mag will be dosed using Kent Tech.M. Have used these on my other reef tank.
All other trace elements will hopefully covered by regular water changes. Any further suggestions welcomed.

Hi Don,
Thaks for your reply. I am going to be dosing Brightwell Aquatics Reef Code A and Reef Code B. A is a calcium supp and B is a buffer. Mag will be dosed using Kent Tech.M. Have used these on my other reef tank.
All other trace elements will hopefully covered by regular water changes. Any further suggestions welcomed.

Nope, sounds like youve done your homework. Good luck, let us know how its going as things progress.

Don

Hi dailydriven911.
Tank params are like that from my salt, have not actually dosed anything. The water is completely fresh mix. Only way to lower would be to buy another type of salt with lower readings.

Hi Don, Tests are correct. Used two different kits and both coming out more or less the same. 1st kit is salifert and the other is Red Sea.

Salt is Red Sea Pro. This is the 4th bucket and its the 1st time its tested so high for dkh. Other params are about the same. Just wondering if I got a bit of limestone in live rock. Will test a fresh mix of water tomorrow. ( 11.20pm here in UK ). I have the return from sump probably 2000L after height of return and two stream pumps at combined at 6000L = 1760 Uk gallons = 35 times. No probs to add more flow. will do before I add corals. I want this to be right.

I am highly satified with Red Sea products especially the salt.
It costs me £50 ( $100 ) for a 25 Kg bucket of salt, roughly the same give or take a few £ for most salts here. To the new mix of salt i do not have to add anything. It is the ideal params for my reef. If I were to but a cheaper salt or alternative brand 9 times out of 10 I am going to be adding calcium, buffer and magnesium.
Ca costs me £10 ($20 ) Buffer ? £8 ($16) Mg £12 ($24).I would roughly suggest that the whole amount of these would be needed to supplement a 25kg bucket. So instead of costing me £50 it will cost me £80 ( $160 ). Its just not the cost though. This is just my experience, but my reefs have run more stable than when using other salts. Of course I dose my tanks but not as much, and they do seem easier to keep all params in balance.

To Dailydriven911 and DonW,
Thanks for the input last night, it was really appreciated.

Here ar params for newly mixed Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
temp 25
Sg 1.025
dKh 8.3
Mag 1410
Calc 495
PH 8.24
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0

So I dont know where I am getting my dkh reading from.
What are the readings off Instant Ocean salt and also what K rating bulbs do you use. As mentioned I have 10000k but thinking of 14000k.

Hello,
Hydnophora sp., Montipora digitata, Porites sp. and Pocillopora sp. are good starter corals.
What is the source for your tank top-off and salt mix water? Have you tested it for alkalinity? Around here there is ground water that has a alkalinity reading of 2.9 meq/L (8.2 dKH). When it is used alkalinity readings can be very high. High enough to kill some species of Xenia.

All the rest of your parameters look good.

Cheers,
Kevin

Hi and thanks for the input Kevin,
You might have hit the nail on the head. The water is from LFS, which I do test water from on a regular basis. It has always been excellent. The day I filled the tank was a rush and literally was x number of containers, fill tank, off for more and so on till full. I did not test that water at all with being in a rush. Obviously any number of factors could have contributed, filters need changing, skipped a little to provide enough water, Who Knows??

Back