New Stand Design Help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So Luckily I was able to find out a bit more prior to starting this project.. The tank is actually 72"L x 30"W x 24"H LOL that would have sucked building it and being 6" short... Here is an Updated Drawing..

James

I know you are going with wood, but I believe there was a question on how the skin is attached. I wanted to say we used little "L" brackets and welded those onto the frame. The wood was then screwed into these. Hope that helps you for future reference :)

Yeah I saw that In your Thread.. I would love to go with Steel but its just out of my league right now.. I will probably be moving into a house in a Yr or so and will probably just use the Wood one until then and Move the tank right onto a Steel Stand...

I was lookign at the Garf DIY Stand.. Do you think this would hold the tank without issues and Still be able to support having a single door on Ea side..

Thanks again,
James

James,

You know I do still have those two other stands for you, feel free to take them if you wish. 4 x 4" posts, 2 x 6" beams, all machined and ready to go, just gotta break 'em down and make your new one. Please please take them before I move so I don't have to cut them up :)

James Steele

Yeah I was going to come out there and Take a look but was still trying to decide weather it would be better to just try and Do one from New wood or not... I am just Extremely nervous about doing something getting the tank setup and waking up in the Am to my Neighbors over here pounding and Screaming at me Cause I flooded their Apt as well... I am soo Confused... Been looking at everyone elses DIY tank stands and have a pretty good Idea how I want to do It but IDK LOL... What do the Stands Measure... I just dont really want to have to do that much work to an Already built stand and have the Integrity harmed... I am Just soo Confused right now... I want to get started on Atleast the Frame of this Thing but cant Decide how to go about it... I think that It might be easier to just Cut some New wood up.. But I dont Know :( This Blonde Head of mine cant think all that well... Been trying to Draw things up, Find Cabinet Design programs that might help and looking at a bunch of DIY stands.. As I said before I just dont want to wake up wet LOL..

James

Ok So I think I have Decided on a Plan.. I think its going to be Over Built but thats fine with me.. Please give me opinions if this will hold approx 3000lbs Sorry about the Crappy "Paint" drawing..

So I have the 4 Corners being 4x4s with 2x4s running on the outside right along the 4x4s at ea corner so that They are wedged in between the Upper and Lower 2x6 Beams..

4x4 Center braces 2x on Front and 4x on Back With 2x4s on the outer portion in between the Upper and lower 2x6 Frame

The hole outside Rim of both the bottom and Top halfs would be done in 2x6s with the Center supports being 2x6s as well...

Hopefully I made Myself Clear If not pleaseeee Clarify....

Thanks again,
James

James,
I understand where your going with this but I cant figure out why all the extra work. A few pieces of timber are much stronger than a million tooth-picks.

Don

Back