New stand project

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
Long story but my wife and I bought our tiny house many years ago. The goal was to stay here for good. Well the kids are grown and the grandson is living with us along with my oldest. We have decided if the kids wont leave then we would. So of course I have to make my tank movable, currently it is more of a build in. I'm going to start building a new stand this week. It will be 2" tube steel and oak. It will be on 25 300lb capacity bearing rollers so I can get behind the tank as needed. It will have two linear actuators to push the tank away from the wall and to pull it back. It will have a linear actuator to lift the hood up out of the way. All the electrical including the outlets as much as possible will be built into the steel tube. I only want two power cables exiting to the wall.
The automation system will no longer be integrated into the house since I probably wont automate the new house. The two end walls will be hollow and house all the tanks electronics and automation system. The hollow floor will house the ato solenoids and will have catch trays to hold flood sensors.
There will be two end cabinets/book shelves to house the halide ballast and chiller. I'm guessing I may have to build a new sump but still dont know for sure about that.
Should be a fun project.:)

Don

Wow Don, sounds like a lot of work, but I'm sure you're looking forward to it. I want to see plans :D Always interested in seeing the stuff you are working on.

Wow Don, sounds like a lot of work, but I'm sure you're looking forward to it. I want to see plans :D Always interested in seeing the stuff you are working on.

:lol: I think the steel will be delivered tonight or in the norning and I'll get going on this project. Should be fun.

Don

I will be putting a lot of thought into using a steel frame when I do my next setup. Spent too much time and frustration trying to get the stand on the current tank level. Plus it gives the peace of mind that you know the stand wont go, if anything the tank will :)

Will the tank disappear into the wall?
Sounds like something out of Goldfinger :>)

No it wont be a build in but I want to be able to get behind the tank without contorting myself in to gumby. Sure is a drag when you drop something or need to run a cord. Moving 1200 lbs of water isnt fun.

Don

Back