New tank, need some ideas/help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bartstamper

I went to Barrier Reef on Monday and now my itch needs to be scratched ASAP :) I have a 36x36x24 cube (around 135 gallons) I have some work to do on the stand that will start this weekend. I have most of the parts I need to set up the tank, but here is the list of things I do need: Sump, return pump and lights. I think I am going to go the LED route and get 2 of Ecotech's Radions and I think the Ehiem 1262 pump will be a good option for the return pump, but my biggest concern is the sump. The stand is obviously 36x36 but the way the stand is built the corners "cut out 6 inch square" so I really only have 24x24 of usable space unless I get some custom acrylic work done for my sump.

So I really want to have as much sump as I can, is there anyone part of North Sound Reefers that does custom acrylic work?

Bart

Whats the heighth of the stand?
I have a 24x24x19.2 glass aquarium ,new.

You could baffle it and have a sump constructed very quick.

I will be making PVC sump's in the near future out of gray type 1 sheets 1/2-3/4inch thick.

Red C

I have 30" of height to work with. Red C your aquarium might would work, but I am still holding a little hope that I can make it bigger. In a perfect world it would be 36x36 with the corners cut out to fit into the stand, but it would not fit inside the doors :-( So the possible solution is to have 2 sumps one would be 36x18 and another one as big as possible that would still fit inside the doors, which might only be 24x18.

It is hard to explain, but the 24x18 could be divided into to sections. The first being a catch area where all the overflow water from the tank would drain (the skimmer would be in this section) The second section of this sump would be the refugium. Both of these sections would drain into the 38x18 to make sure all particulate matter could be caught and all the bubbles dissipated before returning to the top of the tank.

So the water flow would come from the overflow of the tank into the skimmer area drain into the larger sump to the return pump. The return pump would be split in two, one going to the tank and the other to the refugium.

Not sure if this makes sense but I can see it in my head :)

Bart

Sorry I have sold this 45 gallon 24x24 tank today .
its made bye marineland and i cannot get anymore of these locally

re/dc

Bart, Are you still interested in having an acrylic sump built for your stand??
I will shoot you a PM. In case you dont check here often.

Back