new tank setup and cycling

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Aikenreefnuts

General dicussion on set up. The "cycling" that people are talking about? We have just been set up for about 3 weeks, there are dead rock, live rock, 2 clowns and 3 damsels, we also had alot of brown algae all over everything. Took rock out and scrubbed, rinsed and put in sun to dry out. How long does this cycling thing take? Any suggestions would be helpful. Brown algae is pretty ugly.

A little info about your system would be helpful to answer your questions. Cycles very by system be PATIENT.

Don

Hi - Aitkenreefnuts - Im not sure taking the rocks out and scrubbing and drying will help as although the tank looks cleaner , the fact is the diatoms are still there and will quickly re colinise the rock again
Leave it and let nature take its course
Steve

How long does this cycling thing take?

Can seem like forever. :(

I found the more I think about it the longer it seems to take. Use the infomercial saying on the rotisserie chicken cooker thing...."set it and forget it". Most of my tanks took anywhere from 4-6 weeks to cycle. I leave the lights off during this time to help with the algae blooms.

taking out the rock and drying it out will kill the beneficial bacteria you are using to cycle. make sure you have a test kit to monitor ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. you should first see amonia with your tests. then as amonia recedes you will see nitrites rise. as the nitrites recede you will than see your nitrates rise. then your nitrates should disapear. when all three are reading 0 your tank will be cycled. If you can tell us more about your set up. size, filters lights, skimmer, sand bed etc we will be able to tell you more. the brown algae is a diatom algae and will recede in time. take it slow and have patience.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

All good advice given. The cycle process can take some time. As sryder stated, when the rock is removed and dried out, the bacteria needed to colonize the rock and process nitrogen products, is killed. The cycle process will last longer because when the rock is placed back in the tank it has to build up another bacterial population again. Here is a thread that may help get an understanding of the process: Nitrogen Cycle Explained

I would also like to know a little more about your system. Did you follow along with the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? Are you using RO/DI water? Are you skimming? Let's here more about your system. Unfortunately, algae is part of new systems, but you can help keep the blooms to a minimum by keeping excess nutrients to a minimum.

Hope this helps!

We have a prizm skimmer, aqua clear 500, cascade 1500 filter, and orbit compact florescent by current (48 in. with 4 - 65 watt lamps), in a 55 gallon tank, with 60 lbs of live sand, 80 lbs of dead rock (bones), 10 lbs of live rock. Are the nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia suppose to be tested every day? So far the nitrates are high, nitrites is low and zero on ammonia. We put PHOS-X which is a phosphate remover that also traps nitrites and nitrates, also cascade pro filt a pack and Bio chem zorb pack, should these be removed until after cycling? or can we leave them in? Thanks a bunch for you help.

sounds like your cycle is well underway. Classically ammonia goes up first, then as nitrites start to go up the ammonia falls, then your nitrate starts to go up and the nitrites and ammonia fall to zero. In my previous cycles I tested the water every 3 days or so. I am crazy, so I actually graphed them out to see the spikes. Be patient, it usually takes 4-6 wks for the tank to settle out chemically, but can take longer for the algae etc to disappear.

Mat

Back