new tank setup HELP?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

derrick206

hello everybody, my friend wants to setup a small 30 gal tank for his daughter. live rock and a couple fish and hermit crabs. the question of the day is what is the best hang on skimmer for the money and if anybody has any ideas on cool colorful small fish that would be great as well. thanks to all for the advice.

Derrick,

Depending on budget, there are several skimmers that can work nicely on a 30 gallon tank.

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=207

That is a very inexpensive skimmer (would also require the $8.90 power head listed at the bottom of the page) for only $39.90.

There are much "more efficient" skimmers available out there such as this AquaC Remora:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=ACRM

And, as you can see the price goes up for them as well.

So, I guess you need to know what type price range will work best for your friend.

Just know, either of the two skimmers I listed above would "work" on a 30 gallon tank, but the more expensive ones do a better job if he is planning on a higher bio-load in the tank.

A very popular skimmer is the Aqua C Remora, check it out.
As for fish, clowns are very popular in small tanks, I have a 10 gallon with two percula's that are doing great. Some small goby's work as well just do lots of research on the fish you want before you buy one, I recently found out that yellow clown gobies don't work well in small tanks.

Good luck! Tell your friend I vote for the AquaC Remora as well. I ran the nano version and was quite pleased:)

Here's another vote for the AquaC Remora!! I've had one on a 29 gallon, then moved it to a 46 bowfront. Works GREAT. I'm now thinking about moving it to the 75 I've just set up. If it were a larger tank, I'd probably go with the AquaC that's designed for larger systems. With your friend's tank, I don't think they could go wrong with a Remora. Check out the selling part of this forum. I see them for sale quite often. Tell your friend good luck!!! Setting up a tank for my daughter is also how I started out. That was a 29 gallon, now I've got the 29, a 46 and the newest addition of the 75!! Warn your friend that it'd addictive!!! lol.

Remora, Aqua C,

CANT GO WRONG THERE!

heres my 30 with The remora,
Picture3000190.jpg

Picture3000166.jpg

Picture3000163.jpg

that was all like week one,

heres my 30, todate The skimmer is now in the sump under the tank...

works great, Great service, Friendly people who stand by there work.
Picture009-2.jpg

What Burning2 said about the customer service is very true!! I recently needed a new Collection Cup O-ring for mine. I called them to ask where they would recommend I go locally to purchase one. Instead, they asked for my address and mailed me 2 for free!! Awesome customer service every time I've called them for info.

my experince with them was..

my set screw striped out,

i emailed them asking them what the size and thread pitch was, they sent me the new one free of charge...

wow that just makes me want to set up a small nano tank. i always wanted one until a friend told me to get the biggest i can afford so i bought a 125 long and the wallet is history. sad truth, not satisfied with anything. but everybody else likes my tank. the whole thing was rushed just to get some cheap softies. need to think things thru before i buy a larger tank.

wow that just makes me want to set up a small nano tank. i always wanted one until a friend told me to get the biggest i can afford so i bought a 125 long and the wallet is history. sad truth, not satisfied with anything. but everybody else likes my tank. the whole thing was rushed just to get some cheap softies. need to think things thru before i buy a larger tank.

I Laugh every time i hear someone say nano...

I guess nano compared to a 150 or 125,

but this is nano

Picture3002048.jpg

Just minus the wires and stuff....

havent finished the doors yet.

Picture3002047.jpg

5.5gal

The cammra is a sony DCH-1 its the ms's cammra. this is her algae farm.... (did i say that) i mean this is her nano....

Back