New tank!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Turkey

Hey guys! I lucked into getting a 55 gallon tank and stand this week for a whopping 20 bucks. I want to turn it into a salt water tank but money is a serious issue. I'm new to saltwater, I have kept a 10 gallon tank with just a pair of clowns and a cleaner shrimp before but that's the extent of my experience. I don't mean to sound cheap, but I was just wondering if you guys have any tips for cutting down a little cost on it.
Filtration also has me a little confused, most people say that sumps are the best, but since it's a glass tank I can't drill into it. Would a hang-on power filter(or 2) be enough?

Also, any stocking suggestions would be awesome!

Sorry for the long post and multiple questions, I'm just very excited to set the tank up and my head is spinning from all the options.

i ran my 72 bow off of a fluval 404 for months , with frequent water changes , but what i can tell you from my misfortune , is that trying to go with inexpensive equipment and trying ended up costing me a lot of wasted money upgrading equipment .

what i would probally suggest is figgure out what you like first as far as livestock goes . ie what fish you want to keep , what corals you like , softies , zoas , sps , etc and then but the best possiable equipment you can , the classified adds here are some times full of deals !
and there are good people here that have lent me a hand
i owe the beauty of my tank to this forum and close friends on here <you know who you are >

Welcome to RF! I wouldn't rule out drilling your tank. First determine if it's tempered glass or not, and if not, then you can drill it and install an internal or external overflow. yYu can use the following link to help determine if you have tempered glass or not and you can alos check with the manufacturer if you know who built it: How to tell if glass is tempered..

Congrats on the new tank!! That's a steal of a deal! :peace:

On the filtration, your liverock will be your biological filter and if you use any sand, that will contribute as well so as far as biological filtration is concerned, that is all you really need (liverock most importantly. Mechanical filtration (ie which actually removes particles from the water etc) I'd go with a skimmer. If you want to keep costs down, then you could skip the sump and just use a H.O.T skimmer (hang on tank). Also, I'd go with some powerheads for your flow. Apart from that, not over feeding the tank, over stocking the tank and good husbandry (tank maintenance/water changes, etc) should get you well on your way. :)

Welcome to RF, congrates on the great deal. If there is any advise I could give, your lights and skimmer are the two peices of equipment you don't want to cheap out on.

You don't have to drill your tank. A HOB over flow will get your water to the sump for you. Eshopp's makes a good one (I run two on my current system). The sump is really a cavity to add to your water capacity and a place to hide all the undersirables, ie heaters and such.

I agree with Krish, your LR and LS will be your filtration. IMO, canister type filters are good for two things, carbon reactors and occasional polishing. Or if you want to grow aglae, they are great at producing nitrates,LOL.

You are in the right place, the great people here will help get you were you want tobe.

Welcome to RF. You can drill the tank usually everything along the sides. I could help if you need it and decide to go that route. I did on my 75 gal that I turned into a peninsula.

If you need any help just let me know. I helped Cadillac out as he started getting more serious and he is running and designing tanks now LOL. I think your question in this thread has been pretty well answered so i will leave it alone for now. Anything else just ask or PM me. I live in Graham right south of Puyallup.

Seth

I'm leary on drilling glass as well. Watched my neighbor accidentally crack his back piece.

Back