New to hobby

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Aristarchus

Hey guys, I recieved a PM last night about the club and I am really interested. It sounds like a really good group of knowledgable people. Would love to learn a few things from all of your experience. So any information as to how I would get started on the application process would be great. Thanks

Kyle

Welcome

Aristarchus said:
Hey guys, I recieved a PM last night about the club and I am really interested. It sounds like a really good group of knowledgable people. Would love to learn a few things from all of your experience. So any information as to how I would get started on the application process would be great. Thanks

Kyle

Hi Kyle,:)

We would love to have you join our club. There will be a meeting Mar. 11th @ 7pm at Rick Bergs house if you are interested.

Zul

Definitely interested, I will get back with you guys when that time comes around so I can get directions. Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Kyle

Welcome ! What type of tank do you have?

Hi Kyle hope you find the club exciting I was hoping you could tell us a little about your tank? How long have you had it?
And what are the inhabitants?

Aristarchus said:

Kyle

Well, I am new to SW but I had FW for a couple of years. Old FW tank was a 125 gallon w/ 2 Aquaclear 500's, two Hagen 901 PH's, Flourescent lights w/ custom screens to dampen the light because my Piranha's were really sensitive to the light. But anyhow, the CURRENT tank includes: 55 Gallon w/ homemade stand (shoddy craftsmanship as I had only a skillsaw, tap measure, and drill to work with lol), 4x54 Tek5 T5 lighting w/ 2 Geisseman actinic/blue plus, 1 11k aquablue plus, and 1 GE 6500 daylight lamp, Magnum 350 Pro with the bio-wheel for the wannabe wet/dry filtration, AquaC Remora w/ Mag 3, 1 Maxijet 1200 (buying atleast 1 more soon), 2 100 watt visitherm heaters 1 for each side in case one fails there is a backup, a crappy Coralife moonlight that I expected more of for the money, coralife digital thermometer, black background, 60 lbs. of caribsea aragonite oolite sand, and no water in it or livestock yet! I've been just buying all the equipment online lately and trying to find the time to actually get it into it's cycle period. But I just changed job positions and was put on a rotating shift schedule and will be working 2 weeks straight without a day off so I don't expect it to get done this week. I plan on putting around 70 lbs. of live rock, a jawfish, clownfish, a cleanup crew and maybe a few other things.

I was really hoping to meet you guys to gain some information before I made it fully established. I'm the kind of person that does weeks even months of research before I buy anything. (And sometimes still make the wrong decision lol)

I will update you guys as to how my tank is doing when I make some more progress though!

Kyle

great Plan & Choices Kyle!

Sorry to hear about the shift waork i know all about It:mad:
The AquaC Remora w/ Mag 3, Is a great skimmer for that 55 Tek T5 lighting seems to be very good I like hearing you going with a sand bed after the LR cycles down go with the clean up crew. Make the clown fish first...Good luck...:D

Aristarchus said:
Well, I am new to SW but I had FW for a couple of years. Old FW tank was a 125 gallon w/ 2 Aquaclear 500's, two Hagen 901 PH's, Flourescent lights w/ custom screens to dampen the light because my Piranha's were really sensitive to the light. But anyhow, the CURRENT tank includes: 55 Gallon w/ homemade stand (shoddy craftsmanship as I had only a skillsaw, tap measure, and drill to work with lol), 4x54 Tek5 T5 lighting w/ 2 Geisseman actinic/blue plus, 1 11k aquablue plus, and 1 GE 6500 daylight lamp, Magnum 350 Pro with the bio-wheel for the wannabe wet/dry filtration, AquaC Remora w/ Mag 3, 1 Maxijet 1200 (buying atleast 1 more soon), 2 100 watt visitherm heaters 1 for each side in case one fails there is a backup, a crappy Coralife moonlight that I expected more of for the money, coralife digital thermometer, black background, 60 lbs. of caribsea aragonite oolite sand, and no water in it or livestock yet! I've been just buying all the equipment online lately and trying to find the time to actually get it into it's cycle period. But I just changed job positions and was put on a rotating shift schedule and will be working 2 weeks straight without a day off so I don't expect it to get done this week. I plan on putting around 70 lbs. of live rock, a jawfish, clownfish, a cleanup crew and maybe a few other things.

I was really hoping to meet you guys to gain some information before I made it fully established. I'm the kind of person that does weeks even months of research before I buy anything. (And sometimes still make the wrong decision lol)

I will update you guys as to how my tank is doing when I make some more progress though!

Kyle

Hey we are in the same boat

Hey aristarchus,

I am at the same point with a 125 AGA FW and 75 AGA FW. I am going salt and have been researching for awhile. I found the club last year and only made one meeting but it was worth it. Now I am back and all I can say is you will learn a lot and the club members are very helpful. I am not as far as you as I've not put any salt into my tank :D .

Welcome and see you at the meeting.
James

The Apprentice said:
No Kyle I just make electricity in Boardman
That's cool, so you're out at the coal fire plant that I hear about? I hear they pay pretty decent wages out there and that you guys work your butts off.

Congo: I REALLY wish I had my 125 still but I had to get rid of it because I was moving out of my 2nd story apartment (yes the floor was bowed afterwards LOL) and I didn't want to move it again, and I had no reason to keep it because I was being deployed to the middle east for a year, total deployment 18 months. So that being said it was too much of a hassle to keep :( I regret it now though! I went with the 55 gallon because I didn't think I could afford to stock a 75+ but now I realize I actually could have for only a couple hundred bucks more! Oh well, someday I'll get another..

I'm hoping the meeting is in the evening because I have to work until 5 and won't get home until 6 on the 11th. If I can't make it then hopefully I'll be able to the following month.

Close Kyle close!

Same company but at a gas turbine complex Down in the Port Of Morrow. I hope you and Congo can Make it to the March meeting Rico has a awesome 240 gallon tank with all kinds of automation and rarities till then Keep the burner cooking;)

Aristarchus said:
That's cool, so you're out at the coal fire plant that I hear about? I hear they pay pretty decent wages out there and that you guys work your butts off.

Congo: I REALLY wish I had my 125 still but I had to get rid of it because I was moving out of my 2nd story apartment (yes the floor was bowed afterwards LOL) and I didn't want to move it again, and I had no reason to keep it because I was being deployed to the middle east for a year, total deployment 18 months. So that being said it was too much of a hassle to keep :( I regret it now though! I went with the 55 gallon because I didn't think I could afford to stock a 75+ but now I realize I actually could have for only a couple hundred bucks more! Oh well, someday I'll get another..

I'm hoping the meeting is in the evening because I have to work until 5 and won't get home until 6 on the 11th. If I can't make it then hopefully I'll be able to the following month.

Hi all, little overwhelmed here. Got a 55 gallon tank for my 40th and have no idea what to do with it, what to buy, how to start it up...etc...Looks like you all (or the one's I see have HUGE tanks...that's cool! How can I get my 55 gallon looking AWESOME?

Thanks,
Cheryl

P.S. What the first thing I should do to set it up?

Hi all, little overwhelmed here. Got a 55 gallon tank for my 40th and have no idea what to do with it, what to buy, how to start it up...etc...Looks like you all (or the one's I see have HUGE tanks...that's cool! How can I get my 55 gallon looking AWESOME?

Thanks,
Cheryl

P.S. What the first thing I should do to set it up?

Cheryl,
Give Stace and I a call. We are not experts. We do like to drink a soda pop or barley pop and talk your ear off about the Hobby. Misery loves company(joking). We love this hobby.
Nice to see another new face. We are in Kennewick. Next meeting will be next month at Nacho and Carmens. :)

This thread came back from the dead! I missed this months meeting but plan on making the next one. I feel bad, but the wife dumped a big list of honey do's on me. Needless to say, I had a busy weekend. Hope to see you there Cheryl, at least then I won't be the only new person there.

Kyle

Cheryl and Kyle give me a call this week.
I live right behind the Pub in Kennewick.
three seven four Zero eight one five. I will do my best to prevent you from making any mistakes.

Ed

Hey Ed, just wondering if I can still take you up on the offer for a tour of your tanks? I will give you a call this weekend to see if you are around, thanks!

Back