New to plumbing, please help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cascamia

I am getting my first drilled tank. I am ordering it from someone who wants the hole size measurements in millimeters. I am going to be using 3/4" bulkheads. Can someone help me with the correct size to use for the holes to use 3/s" bulkheads and maybe help me with the millimeter conversion (although I suppose I can just type it into a online converter). Thanks, I dont want to screw up the drilling order!
thanks
Kypros Hostetter

make sure it's drilled for SCH 80 bulkheads. Pay the extra for them. Go to bulk reef supply and their web pages will show you the hole size required. Look in plumbing

make sure it's drilled for SCH 80 bulkheads. Pay the extra for them. Go to bulk reef supply and their web pages will show you the hole size required. Look in plumbing

that was a good tip, I have heard the recommendation for schedule 80 bulkheads before, would you also suggest schedule 80 for the rest of the plumbing-pluming lines, unions, etc? The plumbing will be hidden in the tank stand so beauty is not a big deal
thanks

other then a piece of mind for safety. No. You should not reach the pressure that SCH 40 can't handle. And most flex pipe you might use comes no where to the pressure SCH 80 can handle. But gray SCH 80 does look good.

BTW...if that was your first visit to Bulk Reef Supply you might as well bookmark their site now because you'll want to go there again whenever you need stuff. They sell a lot of quality reefing products, have competitive prices, and are as helpful as any company I've ever dealt with. Great place to shop, if I may say so myself.

Mike

other then a piece of mind for safety. No. You should not reach the pressure that SCH 40 can't handle. And most flex pipe you might use comes no where to the pressure SCH 80 can handle. But gray SCH 80 does look good.

I know your info says Bonney Lake, but any idea where to get the flex pvc in the Seattle area, it doesnt seem avaiable at the normal hardware stores
thanks

If you buy the whole roll of flex pipe from McClendons you get a bulk price. Cant get it any cheaper anywhere without searching high and low.

Use the flex pipe. It's nice to be able to move your pipes around in case you need to adjust your sump or other unforseen things. Last thing you want is to bump the pipes too hard and have it spring a leak.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Here is a good on line converter, I agree with bulkheads using the schedule 80's over the 40's even though majority probably uses the 40's. I actually had a 40 break on me, so paying more for the extra thick bh's made me feel safer, one thing to note the hold sizes are larger for schedule 80.
Everything else I used the regular fittings!

JMO :D

Back