New to reef and Corals are dying....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lets see if we can start getting a little more information about your system.

What test kit(s) are you using? Some measure Alkalinity in dKH, and some measure in meq/L. Some, have the capability of results in either.

Unfortunately, when you talk with someone about your Alkalinity levels... they need to understand which measurement your readings are in, to give you the best information they can. It is also helpful to know which test kit you are using. (Red Sea, SeaChem, Salifert... ect.)

Just for your knowledge... I also use IO salt. When I mix with my RO/DI... my Alkalinity level is almost always 8.3-8.6 dKH (2.97-3.09meq/L), using a Salifert test kit. This is when I'm mixing my salt to a SG of 1.026. I would think, yours should be very similar.

I am not sure what the test kit for the KH was. I recently purchased a new test kit from AP but it didnt include KH or Calcium so I ordered Tetra test kits from Dr. Foster smith which should be here in the next few days. I will re-measure the KH and calcium when I get the new test kits to see what is going on. The salt mix is only about 2 months old.

I am not sure what the test kit for the KH was. I recently purchased a new test kit from AP but it didnt include KH or Calcium so I ordered Tetra test kits from Dr. Foster smith which should be here in the next few days. I will re-measure the KH and calcium when I get the new test kits to see what is going on. The salt mix is only about 2 months old.

If you can cancel that order thats what I would do. It sounds as if your problem is all in the testing. Keep doing water changes with IO and NO buffering. Do lots of these water changes and your system will be back on track asap. I'd order up some test kit that actually work such as saliferts. Again dont do anything other than remove the media and water changes. Once the system is stable you can move on.

Don

DonW is right.. Salifert is the way to go for accurate testing. However, for poor people like me, imo, Seachem seems to be a decent alternative for most tests. Besides that, they are a sponsor here on RF. :D I have never tried Tetra tests, so I have no opinion as to how well they work.

I vote for Salifert as well if it is in your budget. Inaccurate test kits can cause you to go out of your mind and cause your tank to crash if you start trying to bring up something because you think it is low, when in actuality, it is already through the roof!.

Congrats on beginning to remove the bio-balls. You'll be surprised how much better things will be once it balances off:)

Quick Update on the tank status

I didnt get a chance to get a new test kit for KH, alk however I just made a measurement this evening to see how Nitrates are going. I cant beleive it:D . They dropped to 10. I plan on doing another small water change tomorrow to see how things are going. I also plan on getting to the store to get new test kits. The test kit I used for ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and PH are from Aquarium pharmaceuticals (its only a month old kit) and it seems to work ok. I will see what kits I can get at my LFS for alk and calcium.

Those Aquarium Pharmaceutical test kits are okay for Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate. They aren't extreamly accurate for your pH, but right now it should be good enough for your usage. Overall, for a "Start-up" test kit, they do well.

If you were taking a vote as to which test kit to get for your Alk & Calc... I would also vote for the Salifert. True, they are a little more expensive than some of the others... but they seem to be the "standard" most Reefers use, for their ease of measurements (easy to know what your test results are) as well as their accuracy.

WAY KEWL that you are already seeing an improvement in your Nitrate levels!!! The water changes are going to help everything in your system emensly right now... so try and keep up on those, as well as the slow removal of those bio-balls.

Keep us posted! :)

I didnt get a chance to get a new test kit for KH, alk however I just made a measurement this evening to see how Nitrates are going. I cant beleive it:D . They dropped to 10. I plan on doing another small water change tomorrow to see how things are going. I also plan on getting to the store to get new test kits. The test kit I used for ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and PH are from Aquarium pharmaceuticals (its only a month old kit) and it seems to work ok. I will see what kits I can get at my LFS for alk and calcium.

Get rid of the wet dry all together or at least all the media it contains. It takes urine and detritus and converts it to nitrates. The skimmer is all you need

I agree... seems like wet/dry filters are more often a problem than they're a help.

Thanks for all the advice. It looks like none of my LFS's around here carry anything but AP or Tetra test kits. Is marine Depot a good online store? I dont think I have a choice but to go mail order. They carry all the Saltfert test kits. Also does anybody use the Hanna test meters for PH or are the liquid tests better? Thanks again for the help

I use Marine Depot, and Premium Aquatics for about 90% of my online shopping.

As for testing PH... I use a Pinpoint pH monitor... like it very much.

I use Premium Aquatics as well and have used Marine Depot once or twice before. Both are sponsors here. As for a ph monitor, I've never used any, but my friend here uses Pinpoint and is pleased with it:)

Just an update...

Just a quick update since its been a few weeks. I got the saltfert test kits and checked things out this morning. The calcium was about 380 and the KH is at 8 dkh. Temperature is holding solid at 76 degrees with a PH of 8.4. My mushroom is completly gone (disolved to nothing). The green polyps are getting a slightly brighter red on the tube portion but they still have not opened up. I ended up shutting down my wet/dry filter completly and building a 37 gallon sump. The sump is not running any media in it, it just has a bubble trap from the intake and a pump, protein skimmer and UV seralizer on the output. I did this about two weeks ago and I measured 5 on the nitrate this morning. I think I am back up and running! I guess it will just take a while for the polyps to open up.

Sounds great!! Hope the new sump works out well for you which I'm sure it will! As for your calcium, you'll need to raise it some. Depending on where your specific gravity is sitting (if too low), adding more salt, may bring it up, but you want your calcium between 400-420 ppm. That'll make your corals a bit happier!:D

Good to hear that you've gotten it straightened out. Marine Depot is the only mail order place I have used and the service/product was really good. Also I suggest you use my water testing procedures. I start by never testing my water. I then declare my water perfect as no one can prove otherwise. Just kidding I do rarely test, but my water is never 'perfect' becuase of that. My theory is that if I am going to spend time measuring I might as well use that time to do a water change. Rather than spend time/money to figure out if there is a problem I just go ahead and address it either way.

Back