new to reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aaronfeeney

Ok , so I haven't actually started my reef yet. But am doing much research and testing my equipment, Plan on starting with a Hob on a 30 gal. a 65watt fixture, a couple power heads, and aragonite/ sand mix for substrate. Do I NEED R/O water or is it just recommended?

Welcome to reef frontiers! Ask as many questions as you can, there is not such thing as too many.

RO water is highly recommended. Very highly. Using other waters could lead to the introduction to algae into the tank you didn't want.

And what type of HOB filter?

Aaron,

Welcome to RF!!

I am glad to see you are researching and going slow..This (that is, patience) will serve you well in this hobby.

With ANY saltwater tank, it is highly recommended that RO water is used. You are just asking for trouble if tap water is used.

Before you get a tank running, may I suggest you read the following book:

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist.

It will answer many of your questions. It also talks about the need for having RO water in a saltwater environment.

I've been in this hobby 12+ years, and still have it in my library.

Aaron,
You have found the right place. Welcome. Definate yes on ro/di. It's good that you're planning ahead. You'd be wise to try to figure out what type of livestock you plan to have in this tank, then buy the right equipment up front so it doesn't cost you again later.

Ok another question, if I start with ro/di salt water, aragonite/sand mix, can I drop a piece of raw shrimp in to start the bacteria cycle?, will this make "live sand"? how long do you leave the shrimp in there?

The shrimp will definitely "hard" cycle your system and do it quickly. I did this on my systems as it really cuts down on the cycle time without it. I leave mine in for about a week or so then take it out and do a 50% water change and test for everything, then if needed wait another few days to a week and do another smaller 20-30% or so water change and test again.

This is used to spike your ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites. After they spike you will want to make sure they are back down to zero or it can be lethal to any fish/corals or any other life you add to the system.

For the live sand question: Yes it will help the bacteria stage of it work, but to be honest the best thing you can do is to seed it with any others reefers live sand that has been stable, you know and trust the system as well. you don't want to include just any sand, but make sure there is nothing bad in it or at least check. By Seeding your tank with others live sand you will get both the good bacteria as well as actually living things like copepods, and many other good things.

Hi WElcome... Im so glad your asking questions b4 killing living little peoples :)

my first tank was a 30... i had so much fun with it..
i started with a HOP remora skimmer that i quickly moved to a sump, i have so meny pictures of that from start to finish... if you ever need let me know ill show ya all i got.

ok to the point... you will need A RODI (check out www.thefilterguys.biz) im not going to beat around the bush and tell you, "well" "eh maybe" strait up... you NEED a roDI with regularly maintained filters to insure that you have clean water and your not fueling algea and other unwanted things

you should also right off the bat invest in a Auto top off (www.autotopoff.com)

this will make life way eazy'er

get your self a quilty few test kits and a Refractometer (no hydrometers)

other wise.. BIG Big welcome.. :)

Seeding your sand is not necessary unless you plan to go with a true DSB even then you dont absolutly need seeding.
Make every effort to keep your tank sterile, void of incomming critters. As you start to add corals and snails the critters like pods will hitch hike in. Before you know it you will have more than your share.
Seeding bacteria with shrimp is unnecessary if you use a small percentage of LR the rest can be clean and dead. If your using all dead rock anything will get the bacteria going, Fish food, heck you can add a cup of pee. Yes, pee works and works just fine. :)

Don

My tank cycled in a matter of days when I put in about a 0.75 lbs per gallon live rock.

I would be a bit wary of using too much dead rock though. From what I understand, it will quickly colonize with nitrogen cycle bacteria, but the bacteria inside the rock that fixes phosphorus doesn't migrate over too well.

When the rock is fresh from the ocean, it has been colonized starting with a piece of dead coral and grows over time to become the large rock, with its bacteria evolving along the way. This gives is different strata of bacteria, and you cannot just transfer that over by adding live rock in with it.

I definately used a good amount of dead rock in my tank, but just wanted to state that it isn't ever going to be the equivelant of live rock that has never been killed off.

Thats my understanding of it anyway. Don knows a hell of a lot more than I do about reef systems though, so forgive me if I'm mistaken.

My tank cycled in a matter of days when I put in about a 0.75 lbs per gallon live rock.

I would be a bit wary of using too much dead rock though. From what I understand, it will quickly colonize with nitrogen cycle bacteria, but the bacteria inside the rock that fixes phosphorus doesn't migrate over too well.

When the rock is fresh from the ocean, it has been colonized starting with a piece of dead coral and grows over time to become the large rock, with its bacteria evolving along the way. This gives is different strata of bacteria, and you cannot just transfer that over by adding live rock in with it.

I definately used a good amount of dead rock in my tank, but just wanted to state that it isn't ever going to be the equivelant of live rock that has never been killed off.

Thats my understanding of it anyway. Don knows a hell of a lot more than I do about reef systems though, so forgive me if I'm mistaken.

Well sort of. The reson you cycled so quick is because by transfering and shipping the LR you kiiled so much. This of course caused a huge spike.

Dead rock will colonize just like live rock but it does take a little longer but not long enough to make it not worth it. The whole process of cycling is to re-establish bacteria. The hypoxic bacteria dies rather quick in shipping just because it is exposed to 02 which is not what it likes. So it will have to re-establish in order for the tank to begin denitrification the last step in the process and cycle.

The short of it is that dead rock has the advantage of sterility a big plus. Live rock will cycle quicker but you will introduce pest if they are there.

Don

As another using Bonney Lake water, I would highly advocate using only RO/DI water for both your saltwater and top off water. You can request an assay from the city; each source they use is a little different.....
This can help you to determine which cartidges to use when and if you by a water filter system.
Welcome, and good luck!
D

Back