New to Reef's - Need advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Chloes Granny

I Love My Wrasse
Hi Everyone,

I have signed on to learn how to switch my system over to a reef system instead of a fish only system. Can you guys suggest places to go to learn about what to buy for a starting reef? I want to build it slow so it is healthy at the same time.

Do you know of a place to buy some clams that are inexpensive and are they good to place in a new system?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you,

Kim

As a beginner I'd say stay away from clams. James Fatherees clam book is good reading and will lead you in the right direction as far as clams go. I guess I'd take a look at your existing equipment and see if it is suitable for a reef. Second I'd get a real good grasp on water chemistry.

Don

Thanks for info

Everything I have set up initially is for reefs. We are moving from a 55g fish only to a 120g reef and fish. I have been using Barrier Reef for a lot of my questions and guidence but I don't want to take advantage of their time either. We have 140lbs of live rock and 70lbs of live sand that has been through a cycle. I am using T-5 lights but think I might need more than 2 and go to a 4 light setup. I don't have a refusium. Will wait a little bit to set that up. The chemistry is good from what I have read how ot needs to be. What do you guys recommend to start out with if clams are a no go?

Kim

Your sig line says "Wet/Dry" is that still a wet dry? Are the lights HO? Are you testing CA, alk and mg?

Don

yes to wet dry and no on HO I'm assuming you mean halides and we are testing those chemicals I could not give you the reading because my husband does the chemical part of the tank and I tell him what I want.

yes to wet dry and no on HO I'm assuming you mean halides and we are testing those chemicals I could not give you the reading because my husband does the chemical part of the tank and I tell him what I want.

HO meaning high output t-5's vs standard. If not then you will not have enough light. You will need to know your nitrate levels to tell wether or not the wet/dry is producing excess nitrates. Chances are pretty good that will have to be replaced or the bioballs removed.

Don

Back